Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Surly Coffee Bender Clone Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #21
b33r_br3w3r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thought I'd post something in this thread since it came up when I was looking for answers on how munch coffee to add and for how long.

I brewed the Northern Brewer Bender AG clone and have had it in primary for a bit over 3 weeks now. After reading this thread I decided to add about 7.5oz of Kickapoo Cast Iron course grounds to my primary. The plan is to rack onto a secondary in two days and then add the vanilla beans and cocao nibs for a week. This is according to Chip's comment below the brewing TV episode 31 "Brew Your Own Bender". Going for Moe's bender minus the oak btw.

Hopefully I can remember to check back and let everyone know how it turns out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #22
TommyTbar
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33r_br3w3r View Post
Thought I'd post something in this thread since it came up when I was looking for answers on how munch coffee to add and for how long.

I brewed the Northern Brewer Bender AG clone and have had it in primary for a bit over 3 weeks now. After reading this thread I decided to add about 7.5oz of Kickapoo Cast Iron course grounds to my primary. The plan is to rack onto a secondary in two days and then add the vanilla beans and cocao nibs for a week. This is according to Chip's comment below the brewing TV episode 31 "Brew Your Own Bender". Going for Moe's bender minus the oak btw.

Hopefully I can remember to check back and let everyone know how it turns out.
I would do a cold brew coffee toddy, i do this for stouts and only use about 4-5oz always works great, with a cold brew the coffee flavour is less bitter more smooth over all, i add it to secondary or right before bottling, hope this helps

"There's something inherrently pleasing to me about using flowers rather than green rabbit turds."

Old 11-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #23
b33r_br3w3r
Recipes 

Thanks for the tip and specifying how much cold brew to add. So many posts just say add cold brewed coffee and leave it at that. I'd always been worried about diluting my beer too much but if it's only 2/3 cup roughly it's probably not a big deal. I'll have to give this a try next time since I've already added the grounds to this batch.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #24
hcfd918
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have used coffee several times with good luck. Cold brewing has always been my process. Probably the best I can relate is my breakfast stout. My most recent batch I cold brewed 1.5 oz of each type of coffee that is in it (3 oz total). I use a french press and the final amount is 2 cups of liquid for each type of coffee(4 cups total). The first addition is at flameout and the second one I pasteurize, cool and then add to the secondary. I give it 2 to 3 weeks to blend and then keg. Cold brewing creates a smoother taste IMO and also limits the oils extracted from the bean. I control the strength of the coffee flavor by the amount of ground bean that I use. The 2 cups of liquid is always a constant for me. I have been frustrated in the past also trying to find info on using coffee. I even emailed Founders and was basically told thanks for the interest but they were unable to help. Hope this info helps a little.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #25
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolstinks View Post
Ok I'm ready to order the recipe (much borrowed from cmuech's post) and would like some feedback.

5gallon AG batch
8.0 lbs maris otter
.75 lbs crystal carmel 60L
1.0 lbs crystal carmel 80L
.25 lbs black patent
1.0 lbs coffee malt
2.0 lbs flaked oats

1 oz columbus
1 oz willamette

wyeast 1056 ( i have a bunch of this on hand)

Then i was going to add .25 to .50lbs of course ground coffee in the secondary.

I've never used flaked oats before. Do i just mash them like any other malt grain? I usually mash at 152 and batch sparge. Do the oats add any fermentable sugars?

Thanks!
Surly uses a lot of golden promise. If you have access to it, Id prolly go that route instead of MO

Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #26
milehighrabbi
Recipes 

I've got Northern Brewer's Surly Bender Clone in the primary. My goal is to create a Moe's Bender clone, but I have never used coffee or vanilla in beer.

From asking around, it seems like cold-pressing the coffee and adding it to the secondary shortly before bottling is the best plan. How do I pasteurize the coffee and still keep the cold-pressed smoothness?

As for the vanilla, I figure I will make an extract with vodka or everclear.

Any advice on how much coffee and vanilla to add?

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #27
CAUK
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighrabbi View Post
I've got Northern Brewer's Surly Bender Clone in the primary. My goal is to create a Moe's Bender clone, but I have never used coffee or vanilla in beer.

From asking around, it seems like cold-pressing the coffee and adding it to the secondary shortly before bottling is the best plan. How do I pasteurize the coffee and still keep the cold-pressed smoothness?

As for the vanilla, I figure I will make an extract with vodka or everclear.

Any advice on how much coffee and vanilla to add?

Thanks.
Last month I ordered the NB Surly Bender Partial Mash kit, went to my LHBS and bought 50% of each of the listed ingredients, and brewed a 7.5gal batch. When I racked it to secondary, I just added 12oz of cold-brewed Starbucks Komodo blend. I didn't bother pasteurizing as I started with a sanitized French Press and filtered spring water. Fresh whole bean coffee, in vapor-barrier packaging, is naturally inhospitable to bugs. Starbucks offers a very high quality product, and once your beer is finished fermenting the chances of an infection developing in a 4.5% ABV solution are pretty low. Mine's conditioning in the keg right now and it tastes almost spot on. Pasteurizing the cold brew might make you feel more confident, but I don't think it's necessary.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #28
milehighrabbi
Recipes 

Thanks. Sounds like cold pressing is the way to go.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #29
hcfd918
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighrabbi
Thanks. Sounds like cold pressing is the way to go.
IMO....it will give you the smoothest flavor with the best head retention due to the decreased oils extracted. Greatest thing about home brewing is experimenting. Do it one way....do it another...and see what's best....generally it's pretty drinkable and you can determine what you like the most.

Quick Reply