Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > super malty partial mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #1
jlestos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default super malty partial mash

I've read a previous post or two about somepeople trying this with all grain and the grain bill is far beyond my equipment capabilities at this point. So, since I don't have access to my computer to plug a recipe into beersmith for another couple hours and work is really boring, is such a thing possible?
I don't have any recipe ideas set in stone as of yet, but more interested in the concept and whether it's feasible or if this should just get put in the future brews folder until I get my AGS system set up. Would a nut brown be a style that could handle a malt bombardment?

Thanks in advance
J

EDIT: been looking into it more, seems like a barleywine or old ale is the way to go. Any ideas on the length of time an old ale needs in the secondary? I know barleywine's are 6+ months at least.

Last edited by jlestos; 07-13-2011 at 06:10 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I would think you would be able to get a somewhat malty partial mash. The reason I say this is because you are going to be limited by how the manufacturer of the extract made the extract. You will get a maltier brew using ag as compared to partial, all things being equal, because you are in control of the mash temp.

That being said, whatever recipe you select, mash it on the high end of the temperature spectrum, say 155, give or take.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
jlestos
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. Might just be best to wait on this one until I have all grain capabilities. Although I do hate waiting...

Quick Reply