Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Super High Efficiency 91%

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
StankAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Super High Efficiency 91%

I am sure no one will believe this as I had to check three times to make sure I wasn't crazy. According to ProMash my efficiency on my last brew was a shocking 91%!!!
I collected 7 gallons of wort in my kettle with a SG of 1.062. The recipe I brewed can be found here:
Three Floyds Alpha King
I used 10 gallons of spring water and 5.2 Mash Stabilizer. I hit my mash temp of 154 for the entire mash.
I doubt I will ever get these efficiency numbers again. I had to adust my hop additions to compensate for the higher alcohol content.
Just wanted to share,
Dustin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
jdoiv

Recipes 

I got 91% yesterday. It's the third or fourth time I've done it. I'm usually around 87%. If your next batch turns in another high efficiency number, you should adjust your recipes. I set mine at 85%. Highest I got was 97%, but I'm pretty sure there was an extra couple of pounds in the grist that I didn't account for. Battery on my scale was going bad.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 02-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got in the 90's on my last AG brew, too. I set my brewhouse efficiency at 85% in BeerSmith when I design recipes now.

I'm thinking about opening the spacing on my Barley Crusher to lower my efficiency. Both Jamil Z. and Brewpastor have expressed concerns about super high efficiencies - what else are you getting out?

On the other hand, its nice to be able to brew a 1.090 beer with only 15# of grain.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 02-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4742 Times on 4380 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I once got a mash efficiency of 112% but then realized the calcualted efficiency was set to 70%.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed up a batch of EW's HA on Saturday and I too hit 91%.

I'm glad to see that others have set their brewhouse efficiency at 85%. That's what I plan on doing too.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerthoven
Both Jamil Z. and Brewpastor have expressed concerns about super high efficiencies
What were these concerns? I have a few in mind, but just want to double check what else is there.

Kai

Old 02-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
What were these concerns? I have a few in mind, but just want to double check what else is there.

Kai
I don't know the specifics. In one of his shows, Jamil Z says he shoots for 70% efficiency. He said he doesn't want to go much higher than this because he was concerned about what else besides sugar he'd pull out of the grain but he didn't elaborate. Brewpastor has said much the same thing in one of his posts.

What do you think about these high efficiency levels?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Maybe JZ is just jealouse he cannot get 90+ effeciency out of his 5K B3 system..lol

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 02-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I make great beer routinely hittin 80%+. Whatever Jamil is phobic of, I don't seem to have a problem with it.

What I STILL don't get about promash is that I take my OG readings FROM THE CARBOY once it's cooled and strained in but before pitching. But in promash, under the efficiency section of the session report, if I set the option to "measurement taken from carboy", which is where my measurements ARE taken, it always tells me I'm getting 96, 97, 98%...sometimes over 100%. I know there's no way.

Supposedly the difference has to do with the wort loss between the kettle and the carboy...maybe I've just set that too high. It's really difficult to tell, but what I do know is that once I have 5.5 gals in the carboy, I take my reading. So all I've been doing is using the "measurement taken from kettle" setting, because it makes more sense.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 02-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #10
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I make great beer routinely hittin 80%+. Whatever Jamil is phobic of, I don't seem to have a problem with it.

What I STILL don't get about promash is that I take my OG readings FROM THE CARBOY once it's cooled and strained in but before pitching. But in promash, under the efficiency section of the session report, if I set the option to "measurement taken from carboy", which is where my measurements ARE taken, it always tells me I'm getting 96, 97, 98%...sometimes over 100%. I know there's no way.

Supposedly the difference has to do with the wort loss between the kettle and the carboy...maybe I've just set that too high. It's really difficult to tell, but what I do know is that once I have 5.5 gals in the carboy, I take my reading. So all I've been doing is using the "measurement taken from kettle" setting, because it makes more sense.
I don't know what the concern is with high efficiencies, which is why I'd like someone who is more in touch with the science than I am to tell me. I suspect there are a dozen other factors that have a bigger impact on the finished beer, but I'd still like to know out of curiosity.

BeerSmith gives three different efficiencies. The one I normally look at is efficiency into the boiler, which is basically pure extract efficiency out of the MLT. The other two take into account kettle losses, etc. Can't help ya with Promash.

Last edited by Beerthoven; 02-18-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply