Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Suggestions Wanted for Barleywine Recipe Made for LONG Aging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
gdwolfe273
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Suggestions Wanted for Barleywine Recipe Made for LONG Aging

I want to brew a barleywine that I can bottle age for a very long time... 10+ years

Unfortunately, I haven't brewed a barleywine yet. The following is what I was thinking...feedback is much appreciated:

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Estimated OG: 1.113
IBU: 82
SRM: 18.2
Estimated FG: 1.020
Est ABV: 12.4%

20lbs Maris Otter Pale Malt
3lbs 60L Crystal Malt
Mash for 60 minutes at 149F
Batch Sparge at 168F

90min boil with following additions:
2oz Warrior at 90 min
2oz Goldings at 15 min
(Wondering if the beta % in these is high enough to stand up to the aging)

1 liter yeast starter (according to beersmith) using 1 package of London Ale Yeast (Wyeast #1028)
Oxygenate using one of the stir oxygenators on a drill (sorry, can't remember the name of these and don't own one yet)
Yeast Nutrient

Leave in Primary for 21 days at 60 degrees using kegerator for temp control (thinking about increasing to 70 after first 10 days???)
Dry hop in primary with 5 days left (on day 16) using:
0.5 oz Centennial
0.5 oz Chinook
0.5 oz Simcoe
(Thinking of increasing all of these to 1oz each since I will be buying them by the ounce anyway???)

Bottle using 4.5oz corn sugar for priming. (this is according to beersmith)

Any suggestions are welcome!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 AM   #2
gdwolfe273
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

anyone?

Old 02-27-2013, 03:59 AM   #3
chri5
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I would brew low OG Bitter before this and then dump on the yeast cake.

Instead of dry hopping, I would use those hops late in the boil. I think you would retain their character more after a long storage than in a dry hop.

This looks like an English-style Barleywine, the dry hops you have listed don't really fit with that theme.

Also, you will probably want to let it sit in primary more than 21 days. A big beer like that probably needs longer to ferment and clean up.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #4
TwinsBrewers81
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chri5 View Post

Instead of dry hopping, I would use those hops late in the boil. I think you would retain their character more after a long storage than in a dry hop.

This. I dry hoped my barleywine last summer and it has next to no cascade aroma I dh'd with. I used 4 oz for 2 weeks.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
elkshadow
Lord Creator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 52

You should get a hold of the book Barley Wine from the Classic Beer Style Series by Fal Allen and Dick Cantwell. Read it twice before trying to brew one. You can read it in a couple hours probably and it will shed light on a lot of things to consider. BW isn't like regular beer and you should learn more before whipping up a recipe and hoping it's good 10 years from now.

elkshadow reserves the right to refer to himself in the third person.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdwolfe273 View Post
1 liter yeast starter (according to beersmith) using 1 package of London Ale Yeast (Wyeast #1028)
BS is lying to you then, that's well underpitched, esp with something like 1028 that is already going to struggle to finish this off. you need at least 3x that, i'd go with chri5's suggestion of brewing a bitter (or the like) first.

I'd drop at least 1lb of crystal, 3lbs is a ton.

I wouldn't bother with the dry hop if you plan on aging it that long, there'll be nothing left.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
TahoeRy
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1028 is what I am planing on using in my BW as well. Wyeast states it can handle up to 11% and its one in my bank. I'd go with what the other guys already said and brew a smaller beer first as a starter then pitch onto that and rig up a blow off tube as its going to be a volcano for the first few days. What kinds of yeast would you guys recommend for a larger ABV?

Old 02-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 827 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 109

i just brewed my first BW and included an Irish red parti-gyle with it

mashed in, mashed out, took first 1/3 of runnings for my BW

sparged, capped and took the rest of the runnings for the red.

1.090 OG, aerated, pitched a single vial of WLP005 and it chewed thru it like a mofo. FG into secondary was 1.020. tasted AWESOME

bottling it soon.

another 2 weeks in the bottle for the Irish red, in time for St. Paddy's Day

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 02-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
TahoeRy
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A single vial for a 1.090? Wow! I can't believe how well that attenuated for you. Some would call that massively under-pitching and probably produced a ton of esters from the pitch rate. How's it tasting. The ester production could of worked in your favor though depending on the recipe.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 827 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeRy View Post
A single vial for a 1.090? Wow! I can't believe how well that attenuated for you. Some would call that massively under-pitching and probably produced a ton of esters from the pitch rate. How's it tasting. The ester production could of worked in your favor though depending on the recipe.
tasted awesome! I'm not a big fan of BW, but my club has a monthly competition and December's style is BW, thought I would try one. and my MLT is 70qt, can handle the big beers.

simple grain bill: 13 lbs MO and 1 lb each of Munich and Victory

English hops, Fuggles, NB (ok, this is German) and EKG

Lyle's Golden Syrup at FO. think that helped the attenuation a bit

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Quick Reply