Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Suggestions for a quick brew for my wedding reception

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
DrJerryrigger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Suggestions for a quick brew for my wedding reception

I'm getting married on Sep 24 and I'd like have 5gal of home brew on hand by then (and yes I bottle carb). I still need to order grain and put together my LMT so I'm really on the 11th hour already. I only have a few brews under my belt (all AG) so the chances I mess this up are high (but I'd rather fail then not try at all).

Any suggestions on a recipe would be quite helpful:
I'd like to make an amber or brown ale with mild hoppieness. I have some Sterling and Central hops from the garden I'd like to incorporate, but I will not have enough, so I'll have to buy some hops too.
I'd like to keep the ABV under 6.5, closer to 5.5 would be ideal.
A heavy mouth feel is quite important to me.

Also I'm thinking I'll try making my water starting with RO. I've been unhappy with my tap water in the past and would like more control, also I have no time to get a proper water test.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great! Thanks

making (C6H10O5)n- into C12H22O11 and then into C2H5OH, and then getting drunk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
shivalotus
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts

If it has to be quick I'd suggest some form of a wheat beer. My dunkelweizen was ready to drink 3 weeks after brew day.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
ElDuderino
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would suggest using wyeast 1968 -- It drops bright in about a week! Crystal clear beer with no filtration and it has a nice flavor. I just went to Everybody's Brewing in White Salmon, Oregon, and they brew all their ales with it and rave about its performance.

If you are looking for great recipes, I would do anything in Jamil Z's Brewing Classic Styles. Everything I've done out of this book has been great.

http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Classic-Styles-Winning-Recipes/dp/0937381926

Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 378

I'd use the new WLP090 San Diego Super yeast. The guys at AHS seem pretty excited about it. Wyeast 3711 French Saison just chewed through a high OG batch pretty quickly for me too.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
afraziaaaa
Recipes 

Any session beer from austin homebrew supply.

70 Gallons in this year

Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
DrJerryrigger
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivalotus View Post
If it has to be quick I'd suggest some form of a wheat beer. My dunkelweizen was ready to drink 3 weeks after brew day.
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately my old lady is not too keen on wheat beers. I'll have to try that another time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
I would suggest using wyeast 1968 -- It drops bright in about a week! Crystal clear beer with no filtration and it has a nice flavor. I just went to Everybody's Brewing in White Salmon, Oregon, and they brew all their ales with it and rave about its performance.

If you are looking for great recipes, I would do anything in Jamil Z's Brewing Classic Styles. Everything I've done out of this book has been great.
Great, I just added 1968 to my "cart". I'll have to look into that book too, but I need to get going on this before that would ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerandloathinginaustin View Post
I'd use the new WLP090 San Diego Super yeast. The guys at AHS seem pretty excited about it. Wyeast 3711 French Saison just chewed through a high OG batch pretty quickly for me too.
How was the 3711 for flocculation speed? I've seen it listed as "low". The WLp090 looks like just the ticket for me, but I'm not sure if I want to try it for this as few people have had a chance to try and report back.... maybe I'll split the batch to be on the safe side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
Any session beer from austin homebrew supply.
I'm sure they're good, but for some reason I have a problem with anything sold as a kit.

making (C6H10O5)n- into C12H22O11 and then into C2H5OH, and then getting drunk

Old 08-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

An English mild, or brown ale would fit your parameters. Since mild's (by style) top out about 4.5%... You could do a brown ale at ~5.5% too.

I've had solid results with Wyeast 1318 London Ale III yeast producing very clear brews. 1968 looks like another good choice, I just haven't used it yet. I do have a packet of 1768-PC on hand that I plan on trying sometime soon.

With a low enough OG, you could get it to complete in your time frame. Although you would probably be better off kegging this batch, so that it has more time to be ready. IF you make it before next weekend, it's going to be really tight (bottle carbonating). Since you'll want 3 weeks (at ~70F) to bottle carbonate, then 4+ days to chill down... If the people at the reception don't know how to pour homebrew (from bottles) you'll have a lot of people looking at you funny, and with cloudy glasses of brew. Keg it and that is pretty much a non-issue. Plus, you have more time to let the brew finish... You could chill and carbonate in a week in the keg too (to more precise CO2 volumes).

Unless you're planning on letting people take the brew home to enjoy, and include instructions on chilling and pouring, that is.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-08-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
Frank99
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Get the Irish Red kit from Northern Brewer

Old 08-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #9
samc
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Congrats on getting married, but I think you really need a high Alcohol %.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Congrats on getting married, but I think you really need a high Alcohol %.
From what I hear (I'm still single ) the need for higher ABV % increases as the married years count increases.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply