Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Suggested readings for AG?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Schnitzengiggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Suggested readings for AG?

I am wanting to learn more about AG, I have read How to Brew, TCJOHB 3rd Edition, Homebrewers Companion, and I am about half way through Radical Brewing, I also have a subscription to Zymurgy and BYO, can anyone suggest any other necessary readings for AG brewing.

I am particularily interested in what grains provide what flavors, and how they interact and work with certain adjuncts.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Also, I was planning on brewing an Ordinary Bitter for my first AG, do you think this is a good style to brew for my first AG attempt?

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
ChickenSoop
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I read every page, copied it and made my own PDF book from this:
How to Brew - By John Palmer

Old 08-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Based on your reading list, you ought to be good to go right now. Pull the trigger and brew a batch. I learned a lot after brewing my first, then figuring out what I needed correct or could do better next time.

Brew a style you know you like. If its ordinary bitter, then go for it. My first was Denny Conn's rye IPA.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
gee8648
Recipes 

I'm no expert but if you're looking for good amount of recipes and general info as well as alternative perspectives try reading The Brewmaster's Bible: The Gold Standard for Home Brewers by Stephen Snyder. I have it and it's a good book to read over and compare, has a good amount of recipes of many different styles and it's great for comparing processes.

Primary: Oktoberfast
Secondary: Caramel Coffee Stout
On Deck: Bourbon Barrel Porter, Cinnamon Chocolate Stout, Ó Flannagáin Standard, Red Dragon IPA

Old 08-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle View Post
I am wanting to learn more about AG, I have read How to Brew, TCJOHB 3rd Edition, Homebrewers Companion, and I am about half way through Radical Brewing, I also have a subscription to Zymurgy and BYO, can anyone suggest any other necessary readings for AG brewing.

I am particularily interested in what grains provide what flavors, and how they interact and work with certain adjuncts.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Also, I was planning on brewing an Ordinary Bitter for my first AG, do you think this is a good style to brew for my first AG attempt?
Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels is a must read especially for AG brewing. It has helped me out tremendously. Amazon.com: Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles (9780937381502): Ray Daniels: Books

Old 08-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle View Post
If you are liking Radical Brewing, check out another Randy book which will help out with what you mentioned in the quote above

Amazon.com: Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink (9781603420891): Randy Mosher: Books

Quick Reply