Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > sugar problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
potatoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sugar problem

So I make the PM version of a Dog Fish head imperial stout from "Extreme Brewing". I got what I thought was all the ingredients from my LHBS in one box, but misplaced the recipe. So I get in the mood to brew and I don't have my recipe, and decide to go ahead anyway, using what knowledge I have about the individual characteristics of hops to make a good guess at what and how much to put in at certain points in the boil. I did make a mistake that I fear will spell disaster, however, and forgot to boil 3/4 pound turbinado. The target ABV is 10.7%, and I fear I won't reach anywhere near this without the sugar, or that the flavor will be much too dry, etc.

I have a few inches in the top of my carboy. Can I make a simple syrup and dump it in? (it has been about 48 hours, and the head is just about to start finding its way into the blow-off tube rigged up.

Is it too late to salvage? should I not worry?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sure you could do that.

Course, the omission wouldn't be the end of the world either all things considered.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:46 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Yeah, that would work. Boil it for a bit in some water, cool, then pour it in. I have even done this with smaller amounts of corn sugar (about 1 cup) in the secondary to make up for the additional water added when racking/accounting for blow-off losses. Did you determine how much the 3/4# is going to add in terms of gravity points? I would think that you would be off by around 1% ABV, still not bad for an imperial stout. I personally haven't used that type of sugar so I can't comment on flavor characteristics.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Not a disaster. Turbinado is just cane sugar that hasn't been refined to the white stage. Not adding it will knock your ABV about 0.9% and the difference in hop utilization is minor. Since cane sugar ferments 100%, what you have now will be slightly less dry.

Adding it now is ok.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-28-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Many who brew really high gravity beers do exactly what you are proposing - add fermentables throughout fermentation. You'll be fine.

GT

Quick Reply