Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Successful Dry Hopping Techniques?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #51
lefty913
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey Superdave~

I have tried many different ways with the dry hopping, and I think 7-10 days will pretty much do it. My preferred method is to add the dry hops and then I roust the fermenter once a day over the first three days to sink everything. Then I roust it every other day. I have found this to the method that works best for me.

I have tried adding hops just after high krausen and transferring after three days, but it has never worked for me. I never really got the "perfumy" aroma that is supposed to happen with this method.

Really, it is all a matter of preference.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2010, 02:10 AM   #52
Homer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Might as well add to this, since I just read all these pages
I've tried dryhopping now a few times, and I never got any good aroma. My last IPA that is now carbing in the keg, I put 2 ounces of pellet cascades for about 2 weeks (wanted to do less time but got busy) in my secondary in a bag. In all my dryhopping experience I've never weighted the bag down at all, Is this my problem, is it just floating at the top and not getting mixed into the brew?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #53
lefty913
Recipes 

Could be. Have you ever tried not using a bag and just let the pellets marinate free of constraint?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #54
Homer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty913 View Post
Could be. Have you ever tried not using a bag and just let the pellets marinate free of constraint?
No, I have only tried with the bag, so it is easier to transfer the beer out to the keg, then I pull the bag out.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #55
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i used to use a hop bag. now i just add them to the primary after 3 weeks or rack ontop of them into secondary. when i siphon i just tie a hop bag to the end of the racking cane. i get no hop particles in the beer. some cases ive had the hops sink to the bottom with 2 weeks of dryhopping, sometime with 1 week dryhop not all sink and some of it stays a float.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #56
Homer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownR6 View Post
i used to use a hop bag. now i just add them to the primary after 3 weeks or rack ontop of them into secondary. when i siphon i just tie a hop bag to the end of the racking cane. i get no hop particles in the beer. some cases ive had the hops sink to the bottom with 2 weeks of dryhopping, sometime with 1 week dryhop not all sink and some of it stays a float.
Is there a difference between a hop bag, and like a grain sock, I think I'm using a grain sock, like the ones that come with some extract kits.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #57
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

These are the threads that make HBT what it is! I'm a pantyhose fan myself no no no not wearing, using in my bier! Actually it's the grandma style knee highs that I use. I purchase the lightest colored ones I can find, then boil them in water until all the dye is released from them. Do yourself a favor and use natural or some skintoned version as black is a pain in the neck as I had to swap water 4 or 5 times, still real easy though! Okay so that's the hard part I also put marbles in with the hose when boiling. Kills 2 birds with one stone!

I dryhop by putting marbles and pellet hops in a knee high, tying it off, and dropping it in the fermenter. I've done this in the primary after fermentation was done when I wasn't going to rack to a secondary & I've used it in a secondary. Great results both ways and if doing it in the primary you're still able to harvest yeast easily without worrying about so many hop particles.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Rach22lax Likes This 
Old 05-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #58
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer View Post
Is there a difference between a hop bag, and like a grain sock, I think I'm using a grain sock, like the ones that come with some extract kits.
i believe its called a hop muslin bag

Old 06-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #59
BMoreBeerish
Recipes 

Greetings all - first time poster here.

I found this thread by searching for dry hopping and have read all the posts. Lots of interesting ideas, but I think Phillip's post above about the pantyhose may be the one I go with.

This is my 2nd batch, first time dry hopping. A DFH 60 minute clone. The hops are still in the bag from the brew store, but I'm pretty sure they are pellets.

I do not plan to use secondary, just primary (in a bucket) for about 3 weeks. The instructions say to add the dry hops on day 5 after brewing, so that would be about 23 days in primary with the add'l hop pellets. Anybody see any problems with this plan?

If I don't use the pantyhose, and just drop them in uncontained, I gather that I should wrap a hop bag around my siphon tube when I rack to the bottling bucket, to avoid hop particles in the beer, correct?

Thanks all.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #60
BMoreBeerish
Recipes 

I guess I should also say that I bottle as opposed to keg.

I just noticed when I posted my reply that this thread is in the "All Grain and Partial Mash" section; I am using an extract batch, so I apologize if I posted to the wrong forum section.

Quick Reply