Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Successful Dry Hopping Techniques?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #41
ILOVEBEER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I went through all the hassle of buying SS tea balls yada yada...I keg mine. I went to my LHBS and talked to the guys. I mentioned the tea balls and they laughed. He grabbed me by the ear and pulled me over to the "fine" mesh bag area. He GAVE (free of charge) me two that hold two ounces perfectly.

I boil the bags, transfer whole leaf hops, tie them with a regular overhand knot and drop them in. I leave them the whole time.

Sure beats the hell out of messing with all that other stuff. Works for me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #42
Brewinator
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Some LHBS's sell tea balls, so their laughter is unnecessary condescension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
I went through all the hassle of buying SS tea balls yada yada...I keg mine. I went to my LHBS and talked to the guys. I mentioned the tea balls and they laughed. He grabbed me by the ear and pulled me over to the "fine" mesh bag area. He GAVE (free of charge) me two that hold two ounces perfectly.

I boil the bags, transfer whole leaf hops, tie them with a regular overhand knot and drop them in. I leave them the whole time.

Sure beats the hell out of messing with all that other stuff. Works for me

Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #43
RushN24
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just tried my first attempt at dry hopping with a rainy day IPA I brewed last week. I simply cut a grain sock down to an appropriate size, threw in 2 sanitized stainless steel washers I had, and added the 1 oz of Fuggles and .25oz of Warrior I had left over, I used pellet hops and that is why I decided to go with a sack. There is almost no hop particles floating around in the beer so the grain sack seems to be working out great. I then threw the sack into the secondary and racked right on top of it. The beer was on day 4 with S-04 (a very fast fermenting yeast) and about .002 away from my expected FG at racking time. The sack floats at the top, but the washers provide just enough weight to keep the sack submerged just under the surface. I have 12 more days in secondary and then 2-3 weeks in the bottle before I can share my result, but I'll tell you it smelled pretty good while racking!

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.”

-E.A. Poe

Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #44
shlap
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewinator View Post
Some LHBS's sell tea balls, so their laughter is unnecessary condescension.
Yep! Mine does.... they seriously laughed at you and pulled you by the ear? If that happened to me I'd be ordering all my brew supplies online from that point on! Hah

Old 04-11-2010, 03:28 AM   #45
brendanb
Recipes 

anybody tried dry hopping with millennium?

i have an apa in primary. plan was to prime for 3 weeks, rack to keg, dry hop with two oz's of millennium right in the keg with hop bag and a cork to float it.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:51 AM   #46
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I don't think you need a cork buddy...all the times I have dry hopped the bag never hits bottom until the keg is empty.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:53 AM   #47
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlap View Post
Yep! Mine does.... they seriously laughed at you and pulled you by the ear? If that happened to me I'd be ordering all my brew supplies online from that point on! Hah
It was a figure of speech. They lured me over to the bags section by offering me a beer they had on tap.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #48
brendanb
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
all the times I have dry hopped the bag never hits bottom until the keg is empty.
lol....how do you know?

either way, thanks for the advice. i'll skip using the cork. one less thing to sterilize, right?

but yeah...anybody have any experience with millennium hops as a dry hop?

Old 04-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #49
briegg
Recipes 

Just FYI. The very first batch I made, I dry hopped with a hop bag& 1 oz of pellet hops in the keg, as I was way too worried about sanitation. The bag got sucked into the beer line tube and plugged it about 2/3 of the way through the keg. I had to open the keg and fish out the hop bag with my racking cane.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #50
JBZSTL
Recipes 

I have read a lot about dry hop methods. It sounds to me a lot of it boils down to personal preference. It appears to me as if the all around easiest method would be to put the hops in a nylon bag. Are there any drawbacks to using the nylon bag? I plan on using pellet hops and will be using a carboy as my second.

Quick Reply