Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Successful Dry Hopping Techniques?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #161
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Using the bag is fine, be sure you can fish it out of the carboy after it's swelling with hops, or if you can but the bag up after you've emptied the beer.

4oz is... a big much, IMO to waste on dry hopping it. I'd say 2oz is fine for an average IPA, unless you really lack hop aroma from a lackluster hop schedule. Save the hops unless you want to burn them anyways.

I wouldn't add any extra yeast.. Thats just wasting yeast, will add a bunch of crap to the beer to not make it clear better.

Dry hop it for however long you want. I'd suggest a week with 2 ounces. Bottle it, and give it 3 weeks before you go wild on it. At 2 weeks, you can open and see whatcha think. It'll only get better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #162
ConcreteKirk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well that's what I was looking for. Someone to give me some advice about whether or not my final plan was a good one. When I went to the brew supply store here in Fort Collins the guy who was working there said that since it has been 6 months since I brewed it that my yeast was probably dead and that I should add the yeast when I add my sugar and then bottle it. ??? I just took his advice and that's why I posted my plan here since I had such a wide array of advice and ideas from my research on the web. If you think it's not going to help in any way or if it may be harmful then I won't do that. I'm going to wait just one more day to see if anyone can tell me why adding yeast when I bottle it would be a good idea or if anyone else thinks it would be a bad idea.

My revised plan, rack it, add 2 oz of cascade hops (Not 4) in a bag. wait 1 week, bottle it, wait one week taste it, wait another week and taste it, wait another week and taste it etc. Thanks again for any advice. I really do appreciate your opinions and ideas etc. Really really truly happy that I decided to go here before scrapping the whole thing. Cheers!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #163
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sounds good. But just wait two weeks for it to carb if you are bottling. Otherwise, you be the judge.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #164
tomhen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Here is how I do it on my 7 BBL system It shouldn't be any different on yours.
1. I prepare my conditioning/serving tank by sanitizing it, adding a layer of CO2 which will keep the beer away from O2 when I transfer, and I tie my pellet hops in a nylon paint strainer bag to a racking arm.
2. I transfer my beer out of the fermenter to the server. (It takes about 6 days to ferment which includes a 24 hour diacytal rest and crash chill.
3. I let the beer condition out for about 5 days then carbonate and serve. It is usually gone within three weeks.
If I was home brewing I would go from my fermenter (carboy or whatever) to a corny keg. I wold tie the hop bag to the product tube. After 4 days I would carbonate by pressure and rocking the keg, then either serve or bottle.
Cheers,
Tom

Tom Hennessy
-Brewery Operations Manual. 3 Steps to Build And Operate A Successful Brewery

Old 12-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #165
ditch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

After reading this whole thread, I feel I should give my 2 cents. I primary ferment. However long it takes to reach my final gravity. Rack to a CO2 purged secondary carboy. Then cold condition for atleast 2 days. Remove from fridge and either keg with dry hops in a bag or dryhop in secondary without a bag if I am bottling. I normally use whole cones and don't have problems with hop floaties. If I'm using pellets in the dryhop I just leave the autosyphon above the hop bed at the bottom of the fermenter. As far as how long, I am still undecided. I have had great results with a 5 day dryhop at 68 degrees or a 14 day. The 5 day seems more crisp/bright aroma and flavor while the 2 week seemed to have a more saturated aroma and flavor that lasted longer. And I always brew 6 gallons to fill a 5 gallon keg. Quality not quantity. If you do get chunky in a transfer let it settle a bit before bottling. And let that last bit go.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:03 AM   #166
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 217 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Im lazy, i just throw 2oz of hops in the keg when its carbing.

Then 7-14 days whenever i feel its ready and have a chance i pull it out.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #167
Jwash1705
Recipes 

Ok so I am thinking of the 3 in mesh ball that could attach to the dip tube. How much sediment is there from this going into the beer?

Old 03-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #168
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Based of Indie Hops research that all essential aroma compounds are extracted within 24 hours, I never dry hop for more then three days, although on my hop bomb IPAs I'll do a 36 hour dry hop, then bottle. Keep it fresh

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 03-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #169
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmtbbq View Post
Based of Indie Hops research that all essential aroma compounds are extracted within 24 hours, I never dry hop for more then three days, although on my hop bomb IPAs I'll do a 36 hour dry hop, then bottle. Keep it fresh
Link to this information please. I generally dry hop for 5 days. I have found that longer leads to a loss of aroma, but if 3 days is optimal, I'm game. Would like to see the evidence.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #170
Terek
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I am going to dry hop with leaf, and was wondering about sanitation. Do I just throw them in there? It won't infect my beer? I was thinking about at least steaming them. If not boiling for a few sec. And then dumping. Is this necessary?

"BEER....The cause of, and solution too, all of life's problems"
SquidPope Likes This 

Quick Reply