Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Successful Dry Hopping Techniques?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #151
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeymoose View Post
Thanks for the replies, at least I didn't screw it up too bad! As far as hopping in the keg, if i don't kick the keg in a couple of weeks, how do you deal with it? i probably will kick my keg in about 6 weeks, will it be grassy by then?
I attach mine to the PVR body on the lid with a SS hose clamp, the string from the hop bag is attached that way, so after... 2 weeks, if the keg is still around, I pop the lid, pull the bag, and gas it back up. Takes... 30 seconds? No harm done!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 05:04 AM   #152
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeymoose View Post
Also, should i pull that ounce of hops after a week and just add another ounce for the remaining two weeks of fermentation?
Leave the hops you added early in until fermentation is complete.

Taste the beer, if it's got enough aroma and hop flavor to it, then you don't need more.

I would avoid adding your dry hops DURING fermentation. Wait until the gravity is stable for a couple of days, meaning it's done fermenting, and then you can dry hop. The production of Co2 during fermentation will drive off the aromatic compounds that you are trying to add during dry hopping. Defeats the work you are doing to a degree.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #153
Mickeymoose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks FATC1TY just the info I was looking for.

Keg 1:Stone IPA Clone (favorite among friends)
Keg 2: punkin chunkin ale (ok, but almost kicked)
Primary: My IPA
Fermenting 1: Apfelwein!!!
Fermenting 2: Black Pearl Porter

Old 09-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #154
tomhen
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You are not dry hopping in the fermentation, but rather during conditioning.It is suggested to only keep it on hops for three weeks but I have gone longer with no bad off flavors. It will turn out great.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #155
wkaidy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I always go with Whole leaf hops if avalabe, because i dont have a steady siphon hand, also i have voided out secondary fermentaion so I just boil a hop sock and a couple marbles to sterilize and then place the hops and marbels ( to keep from floating) into my keg and und push it under the diptube with a my sanitized raking cane. this method has proven great with a wallop of hop flavor and no particulate.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #156
pigsaarz
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use the nylon draw string tea/ herb bags $11.00/ 100

Old 10-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #157
pigsaarz
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sorry tried to attatch a file didn't work, Google Aliexpress, home and garden section, cooking utensils Nylon filter bags

Old 10-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #158
FATC1TY
Recipes 

I bought a bag from my LHBS.. It's a specifc nylon food grade bag. VERY fine, but easily allows the beer to flow through and out it. Infact, I can put pellet hops in there and dry hop with it without issue.. Worth the $3, IMO.

Also, look into a dip tube screen if you like to dry hop in the keg. It's all I ever do now, because it's so clean and easy, and speeds up the process.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #159
ConcreteKirk
Recipes 

Default Final Decision!

OK. Thank you all again. After much study and reading forum posts and articles I am overwhelmed with different methods, rack it first, dry hop in the primary and swirl it then rack it and let settle for a week, 1 oz, 2 oz, 3 oz, 4 oz, 2 days 4 days a week, hop pellets, leaves, drop straight in, use a filter bag, a stainless tea bag, ahhh, I'm just happy I'm not dumping after all the time and money invested. (Yes Procrastination takes time too, just haven't gotten around to figuring out how much, I'l do it tomorrow) OK so here's what I've decided to do. If anyone sees any major no no's or has a strong opinion against what I'm planning please feel free to try to stop me. Otherwise, I'm going to do the following tomorrow night:

I'm going to use a filter bag, put 4 oz of cascade hops, (maybe just 3), I'm going to rack it first from my bucket to a carboy, I'm going to let it work for 5 days. Then I'm going to rack it into my bottling bucket and add 11.5 g of an American Ale yeast (Safeale US-05) and my sugar and I'm going to bottle it. Then I'm going to let it rest for about a month, (probably tasting one now-and-then to see how it's developing) and I'm going to hopefully have a good IPA when It's al said and done. Look forward to reporting my results. Cheers!

So like I said, if anyone sees anything wrong with that method please let me know. I'll check back to this thread again tomorrow night before I start.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #160
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteKirk View Post
I'm going to use a filter bag, put 4 oz of cascade hops, (maybe just 3), I'm going to rack it first from my bucket to a carboy, I'm going to let it work for 5 days. Then I'm going to rack it into my bottling bucket and add 11.5 g of an American Ale yeast (Safeale US-05) and my sugar and I'm going to bottle it.
OK well the hops part is fine, but I don't understand why you are adding more yeast. I have *never* needed to add more yeast at bottling, even for very high ABV beers.

Quote:
Then I'm going to let it rest for about a month, (probably tasting one now-and-then to see how it's developing) and I'm going to hopefully have a good IPA when It's al said and done.
I probably wouldn't wait as long, but that is mostly because I am impatient. So far as carbonation balance is concerned, I tend to try samples at 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks...after 3 weeks it is generally as good as it's going to get in my experience, but I am pretty happy drinking after 2 weeks and can tolerate the carbonation at 1 week usually, although it tends to fade quickly so drink fast!

Quick Reply