Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Successful Dry Hopping Techniques?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #121
lemy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default what's the big deal?

Honestly I do not see what the big deal is with whole hops in the fermenter? You are only talking a couple ounces at most. There are way fewer small particles than pellet hops, and when you autosiphon the whole leaf hops act as a filter.

They really aren't that big of a deal to get out of the carboy, use your finger, or a cleaning brush.

Wait until after visible primary fermentation is completed (the off gassing of Co2 will take with it the hop aroma you are trying to keep in your beer), put 1-2 ounces of 'whole leaf hops' into the primary fermentation vessel, wait a week, rack to secondary for conditioning, then keg it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBZSTL View Post
I have read a lot about dry hop methods. It sounds to me a lot of it boils down to personal preference. It appears to me as if the all around easiest method would be to put the hops in a nylon bag. Are there any drawbacks to using the nylon bag? I plan on using pellet hops and will be using a carboy as my second.

-Lemy

www.reedbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 04:17 AM   #122
Lushife
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts

Hey, I'm doing an "Uckleduckfay"(with some touches) using Mt Hood to dry hop in place of crystal and only using a primary. I brewed on Thurs 9/1/11 how and when should I dry hop in my primary?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #123
flyfisherwes
Recipes 

I'm gonna bump this. I dry hopped with an ounce of amarillo pellet hops 2 days ago. I just dropped them straight into the primary after 2 weeks. How long do I need to wait for the hops to drop out and get the flavors I want? I can't see the beer very well because I use a bucket when I dry hop. I figure ill just use nylon stockings or a doubled up muslim bag over the end of my autosiphon(R) when its time.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #124
bianco152
Recipes 

Recently brewed an extract American IPA. Dry hopped with 3oz nelson sauvin pellets for 7 days in secondary. Bottled, then after a week of carbing, popped a few open and wow, amazing. Citrus, passionfruit flavor notes and incredible aromas. A week later, popped another 2 open and now I'm tasting some grassy notes and less aroma is present.

My question is, can grassy notes result from using a high volume of dry hops? Or does that typically result from beer having an extended period of time in contact with dry hops?

Old 11-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #125
Jdaught
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I would say both have an influence on grassy notes. To me, the higher the amount of hops and longer they are in contact with the beer, the more pronounced the grassy flavor.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:52 AM   #126
bianco152
Recipes 

Would a more pronounced hop flavor result from a higher volume of hops used for say...3 or 4 days?

Old 11-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #127
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If you use hops that are grassy to begin with you are going to transfer that into your beer. I've only seen that happen with hops picked too soon. I've left hops in contact with beer for months without any problems, but If I tossed in some grassy hops, they will ruin the beer in a day. Good thing is that time seems to mellow that out and fade those flavors/aromas.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #128
Aunt_Ester
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I'm gonna bump this.

I typically buy hops by the ounce and they come in a sealed container. I recently purchased a larger quantity in bulk and stored the left overs in baggys in the freezer. I wanted to dry hop with them, but I'm concerned about dormant bacteria that may be in the freezer because my baggys aren't air tight. Any additional sanitation concerns before I just dump them in the carboy?

Old 01-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #129
Griff777
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I read about ten pages and thought of a something new. I just added an ounce of centennial whole hops to my primary, which is in the third day winding down. I am using an ale pale for this brew. Gently pushed them down to hydrate them. What I plan on doing is racking to my secondary in a week to ten more days, and before I begin racking I will stretch a large nylon bad(sanitized) over the pail, and push down in the middle until it bottoms out. Then I will siphon from the middle of the bucket to avoid hops going into the secondary. On this batch I purposely ended up with a little extra going to the primary knowing I might sacrifice a little when racking to the secondary. I will report back how it works out.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #130
bianco152
Recipes 

Here's a good question....how does dogfish head dry hop their 120 Minute IPA for a month?

Primary: Traditional Mead, English Barleywine
Secondary: None
Bottled: Belgian Ginger IPA, "Peated Rose" Wee Heavy, "Holy Smoke!" Smoked Export Oatmeal Stout
Future Brews: Nelson Sauvin SMaSH IPA, 50/50 Munich/MO Pale Ale

Quick Reply