Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Successful Dry Hopping Techniques?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #111
mrbubbly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

...i just threw 1oz of cascade pellets in the primary after an initial 10 day ferment, will rack to secondary early next week and add another 1oz cascade pellets for maybe another week. i might just slip the ol' bazooka tube over the cane when racking, hopefully that will eliminate any floaties..we shall see

either way im drinkin that $h!t

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #112
80mcgyver
Recipes 

I dry hopped an Irish Red Ale with one ounce of Cascade in a mesh bag to keep the wort neat. Seemed like I expected more hop flavor to come through than what I got. A week in the primary and a week in the secondary should have been enough, but next time I'll try adding it right in the mix, and screen it out later.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #113
nefarious_1_
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I also dry hop in the primary. I rarely secondary: there's no point unless you're doing some extended aging where racking off the yeast is important. The beer clears itself once it's bottled and in the fridge or if you cold crash. I just popped open an IPA I dry hopped with 1.2 oz. of Cascade and it's oh so nice!
When dry hopping in primary, remember to wait until fermentation is complete. I use a 1 gallon paint strainer bag with some fishing line tied to the neck of the carboy for easy removal and add ~20% more dry hops than the recipe calls for to account for aroma loss through offgassing. I go about 7 - 10 days and I like my results (so do others.) In the past, I've had issues with racking cane clogs, even with whole hops, so I always go the way of the sanitized bag now. I'll be dry hopping an ESB shortly, my first time dry hopping with EKG so I'll let you know how it turns out!

Old 05-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #114
emit31
Recipes 

i am on the same page as nefarious 1 , i use a strainer bag, with whatever amount of hops you prefer, but i also throw a couple sanitized glass marbles in there to sink the bag. this keeps the hops fully saturated the whole time. I also prefer to dry hop after seven days, and let them sit for 14 days. All in a primary.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #115
Gargon
Recipes 

whole hops for the win witha nice swirl every couple days to get all the good oils of course in the secondary. don't want the co2 carrying away that wonderful smell. as for hops 2 OZ. of citra to a ipa smells like a dream!

Old 05-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #116
cyclonite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I soak a hop bag in StarSan for a few minutes, then add the hop pellets and a few sanitized marbles to sink it, tie it up with some sanitized twine with the top of the bag doubled over. Works great in the primary (I almost never secondary unless adding flavorings).

Oh yeah, mostly Cascade, Citra, or Amarillo for dry hopping.

Bottled: Blé de Minuit, Belgian Stout, Fuller's London Pride, Tripel Wit, Red, APA, Dubbel, Oatmeal Stout, RIS, Wee Heavy
Kegged: APA, Doppelbock, Spiced Cider, C3IPA

"Beer... Now there's a temporary solution!"
Rach22lax Likes This 
Old 05-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #117
stonecrazybrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Cut the edge of a/several teabags, dump the tea, add hop pellets, sew up the bag, toss in secondary. Also works if you wanna toss a bandy but only have long-cut or snuff. Homemade bandits yah buddaayyy

Old 07-13-2011, 04:09 AM   #118
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just added 4 oz of leaf hops (2 amarillo; 2 simcoe) to 4.5 gal of IPA in the secondary. Man, that is a lot of stuff floating in that carboy. Probably over an inch thick. I gave it a swirl and am hoping that come bottling time I don't regret not putting them in a bag. Do I need to worry about them not getting fully wet or can I just forget about them now?

Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #119
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
I just added 4 oz of leaf hops (2 amarillo; 2 simcoe) to 4.5 gal of IPA in the secondary. ...... I gave it a swirl and am hoping that come bottling time I don't regret not putting them in a bag.
Well, its bottling time and I have about a three inch thick layer of swollen leaf hops on top and some hop trub on the bottom. Seems like if I siphon until the hops get down to the tube I will leave a lot of beer behind. What do I do? Put a mesh bag or cheese cloth over the end, something else? Otherwise I will end up loosing about a gallon of brew.

Any help is welcome.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #120
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ended up putting a mesh bag over the siphon. Still lost a lot. Nevertheless the brew tastes amazing. I'm a happy guy.

Quick Reply