New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Successful Dry Hopping Techniques?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #101
benharper13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

what about if I wanted to do a fruit beer, could I add a fruit extract to the primary after fermentation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #102
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Fruit extract in what form? The alcohol stuff that they sell in the grocery store, or the syrupy looking stuff that you get from the LHBS?

Either way, I figure you can just dump it in after fermentation. A lot of people put it in at bottling, because that way you can taste and assess how much more you need to add.

I have dumped fruit right into the primary before also, and it worked just fine. I wouldn't do it if you want to reuse the yeast though.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #103
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benharper13 View Post
what about if I wanted to do a fruit beer, could I add a fruit extract to the primary after fermentation?
I did Midwest's Apple Ale last spring and it came with a bottle of apple extract which I added to the secondary. Turned out great!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #104
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't secondary because in my opinion, it is an unnecessary & unproven step. Aside from that controversy (emphasis on the "tro"...not the "con"...like the Brits), I put pellet hops in a muslin bag tied off at both ends and dry hop in the primary at 70 degrees for 7 days. What happens at 70 degrees will take about 4 times as long at 40 degrees. The bag floats. Twice a day, I gently get a good swirl going in the carboy. You can actually see microscopic "hop dust" seeping out of the bag, spreading through the beer, and eventually making its way to the bottom. After 7 days, I cold crash at 30 degrees for 2 days. The bag sinks to the bottom during the cold crash.

My beer has been crystal clear (thanks to the whirlfloc during the boil & the cold crashing after dry hopping) and the hop aroma punches you in the face.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #105
jgreasy
Recipes 

I dry hopped an IPA with Cascade pellets, and it has been in the fermenter for a week. I can see that the fermentation is still going because of the bubbles, but i also noticed that ll the hops are at the top of the carboy. QUESTION: Can I expect these to fall to the bottom once the fermentation gets the FG low enough?

Old 03-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #106
jgreasy
Recipes 

just wondering...

Old 03-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #107
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yes, they will fall.

Also, fermentation isn't going on (probably); adding dry hops gives the CO2 that's already in solution a place to nucleate and come out of the beer and come out of the air lock.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #108
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreasy View Post
I dry hopped an IPA with Cascade pellets, and it has been in the fermenter for a week. I can see that the fermentation is still going because of the bubbles, but i also noticed that ll the hops are at the top of the carboy. QUESTION: Can I expect these to fall to the bottom once the fermentation gets the FG low enough?
I have dry-hopped more than 20 batches and for me the hops never fall unless I cold crash it in a fridge. I have even tried a light swirl of the fermenter every day and that didn't do much at all. But now that I'm cold-crashing, everything drops to the bottom within a day. That's not to say that you must do that, I never really had any problem with the hops remaining on top.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #109
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
I have dry-hopped more than 20 batches and for me the hops never fall unless I cold crash it in a fridge. I have even tried a light swirl of the fermenter every day and that didn't do much at all. But now that I'm cold-crashing, everything drops to the bottom within a day. That's not to say that you must do that, I never really had any problem with the hops remaining on top.
my dry hops don't fall either.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #110
mrbubbly
Recipes 

+1 on HBT. this post makes this thread over 6 years old!!!!

just sayin...

Quick Reply