Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stuck Sparges 101?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Cpt_Kirks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

Default Stuck Sparges 101?

I finally had a stuck sparge Saturday, a BAD one.

What I think happened was a combination of things:

- More than half the grist bill was wheat

- There was just over three pounds of flaked grains

- I got in a hurry and did not add the grain slow enough

- Thirteen pounds of grain is really pushing it in a 5 gallon MLT

Had to use a paint strainer bag for sparging, I'm not sure how well the conversion worked (VERY white, cloudy wort for the most part). It was a frakking mess.

My 10 gallon MLT is in the works, which will fix the capacity issue. I will correct the errors to my process (after over 25 AG batches, I guess this was bound to happen sooner or later).

What advice do the experts have for me and others to avoid this sticky mess?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Rice Hauls (hulls?) work wonders for stuck sparges. Anytime I have more than 3lbs of wheat or flaked anything, I add a pound of these.

I actually had a stuck sparge doing a Bass clone last weekend. It had flaked corn in it, so that may be what caused it, but I think I just got in too much of a hurry and didn't let my grain bed settle long enough after adding my sparge water. I blew into my spigot to get the grains off of my manifold and it started up again.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The simplest insurance against a stuck sparge is rice hulls, especially when a high percentage of the grist are 'gummy' grains like wheat or rye. You need the husk material to prevent the mash from glueing down.

An adjustment to your mash schedule can help as well - especially a combination beta glucan/protein rest at 122° for 15-20 minutes, then infuse with hot water up to your saccharification rest temp. You'll probably have to start with a thick mash of 1qt/lb for the 122° step so as to not have an overly thin mash when you infuse up to your sacch rest.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1021 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 2102

+ 1 on Southern's and Angler's suggestion re rice hulls. I brew with wheat often and add 1/2 lb. of rice hulls - they don't weigh much, so that's more than it sounds like!

Also, I am careful when draining the mash run to start slowly - after the flow is established, then I open it up. I read that somewhere (probably here) and have used the technique here. No stuck sparges so far (damn, now I've jinxed myself!)

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy

Old 10-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

I forgot to put in the original post, but I had about three cups of rice hulls in the mash.

Frankly, I screwed up by dumping too much grain in too fast. The bottom of the MLT was a solid packed dough ball.

Both Better Bottles of that batch are steadily thumping away, but it was a mess.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

With a grain bill like that, a BG/protein rest and a mash out also help tremendously.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
With a grain bill like that, a BG/protein rest and a mash out also help tremendously.
Indeed!

Why rely on additional ingredients when manipulating mash conditions is equally, if not more, effective?

Old 10-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Until the 10 gallon MLT comes on line, I'm going to just use more DME in my 9 gallon batches. For 6 gallon batches, I don't have to shove in so much grain.

You know, I wonder if my SS braid got over loaded? Will a copper manifold work better in my 10 gallon MLT build?

Old 10-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
You know, I wonder if my SS braid got over loaded? Will a copper manifold work better in my 10 gallon MLT build?
It's pretty hard to overload a braid. But if you are worried about it crushing, stick in a section of slotted copper pipe or CPVC. Much cheaper than a manifold, and you get all the filtering/screening benefits of the braid.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'll second the do a protein rest suggestion and add that you might try conditioning the malt prior to milling. I simply drizzle about 100 ml of water into my grain bucket while stirring with my other hand. This really helps to keep the husks in large pieces which make a better filter bed.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply