The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is stuck sparge a problem with batch & braid?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
tonymaud
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is stuck sparge a problem with batch & braid?

I was wondering if stuck sparges are a problem when using the batch sparge method in a cylindrical cooler with a stainless steel braid? I am wondering because I would like to use my Corona grain mill to crush my grains and would like to crush them fine enough to maximize my efficiency. My thinking is, if it does get stuck, you just give it a stir. Am I wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Diablotastic
Recipes 

I use a corona and I batch sparge in a rectangular cooler....I've done 6 batches so far with no problems....i always add some rice hulls though....a little added insurance for little cost

PRIMARY:Empty
SECONDARY:Empty
KEGGED:Orange Kolsch (BM's)
KEGGED:House Rye Pale Ale
ON DECK:Centennial Blonde

Old 12-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a Bazooka screen (essentially a big open weave braid) in my mash tun - I batch sparge - and I have never had a stuck sparge. I'm sure the braid users will chime in as well. Several guys in the local brew club use braids and I have not heard about many stuck sparges from them.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I've had a stuck sparge that had me scooping all my grain out with a strainer. They're a pain in the but won't damage you're beer.
+15 on rice hulls. Throw a pound in your mash. The impart no flavor, feel or anything else to the brew. Just give you a nice filter. They're recommended in large wheat% grainbills and extra insurance on others.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
sdhucks7

Recipes 

Since I started using a SS braid instead of the crappy plastic one (dont ask long story) I havent had a stuck sparge yet (knock on wood). Using a braid and 6.5gal round cooler. Seems to work ok for me.

SD

Old 12-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a few batches where the sparge got stuck or was just extremely slow. Tying a knot in the braid and knotting it up around the inside of the spiggot worked wonders - seems like the metal braid has a tendency to stretch out, the holes get big and it lets grain in and then it clogs up. Tying a knot in it fixed mine just fine.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 2698 Posts
Likes Given: 111

if you use a SS braid, take the inner tube out. I had a big ole stuck sparge trying to use mine cause the mesh just looked too flimsy.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #8
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

I've had one stuck and a few that were slow. The main reason for this is my LHBS ran the wheat through twice to help with my efficiency. BIG mistake. This was not the fault of the braid but mine for letting them do that. I just throw in a bunch of rice hulls for anything with much wheat in it now.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymaud View Post
I was wondering if stuck sparges are a problem when using the batch sparge method in a cylindrical cooler with a stainless steel braid? I am wondering because I would like to use my Corona grain mill to crush my grains and would like to crush them fine enough to maximize my efficiency. My thinking is, if it does get stuck, you just give it a stir. Am I wrong?
I use this exact set-up and grind pretty fine with my Corona (low-80's efficiency). I have not had a stuck sparge yet, although I did come close once with a hefe that had a lot of wheat.

Just make sure you get a decent SS braid with a tight-knit weave to it, and make sure it isn't plastic (#1 cause of people complaining that their 'SS' braid collapsed/stuck).

Old 12-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #10
radtek
Recipes 

I made a coil of stiff wire and slipped it inside my braid. That helped a lot- especially when the grain-bed depth is thick.

Another important tool is having really hot sparge water. I mean hot enough to raise the entire mash to around 168F. That'll loosen it up and you should have a worry-free run-off. Rice hulls are good too but an option.

If I encounter a stuck mash I sometimes blow through the tube to 'unstick' it.

Stirring a stuck mash is unlikely to help unfortunately.

Otherwise depending on what equipment you have cobbled together patience is a worthy virtue since a single run can last anywhere from 15-30 minutes IME.

Crush till scared... and beyond.

Quick Reply