Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stuck Sparge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Teddypower
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stuck Sparge

This morning I got a stuck sparge using FlyGuy 10 gallon conversion. The brass plug I used at the end of the hose came off mid sparge and clogged everything up. How does everybody secure that little devil on there? Its not fun draining a whole batch to look for that thing.

Ted

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddypower View Post
This morning I got a stuck sparge using FlyGuy 10 gallon conversion. The brass plug I used at the end of the hose came off mid sparge and clogged everything up. How does everybody secure that little devil on there? Its not fun draining a whole batch to look for that thing.
I have heard the plug does not work too well. I converted my 5 gallon yesterday for partial mashes, I went high tech and used a small binder clamp on the end of my braid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I went the alternate route later in the thread and put a "t" like this (only plastic)

and used a 1/2" of rubber tube to attach it to the nipple in there, then I put my braid in a circle and secured it with zip ties...

(also I took the original nylon inner hose and drilled holes all around it, then boiled it for an hour tofree the burrs from drilling it, and ran it back inside the braid....that keeps the braid from collapsing, and allows the braid to fit nicely on the hooked barbs of the "T")

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-02-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
Teddypower
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply guys.
Revvy, do you use the round or rectangular cooler? I like the idea of a circular braid but I have a rectangular cooler and don't know if a round braid would work in there.

Ted

Old 11-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddypower View Post
Thanks for the reply guys.
Revvy, do you use the round or rectangular cooler? I like the idea of a circular braid but I have a rectangular cooler and don't know if a round braid would work in there.

Ted
Oh I thought you said you used Flyguys design, so I assumed you used the round cooler as well....

Hmmm....if I were using a rectangular cooler I think I would go for a copper or cpvc manifold with slits in the bottom rather than a small braid...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply