Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stuck Sparge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
tmcmaster007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Stuck Sparge

I brewed up a Belgian White this last weekend and had real trouble with a stuck sparge. I knew things were not going as planned when during the mash I could not get good flow through my HERMS coil. I used:

Belgian Pilsner as base, 3.00 lb White Wheat Malt, and 2.5 lb Flaked Wheat.

I have brewed for a while and have never had this kind of trouble before. My pump was constantly pushing out a foamy liquid that remained throughout the entire mash and sparge. Had difficulty maintaining my temps do to the low flow with pump. All my hoses are 1/2" with camlocks. My guess is the flaked wheat, but honestly not sure what the problem is. I've brewed plenty of beers with wheat before without this problem. I have never used rice hulls in the mash. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
2thGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

With flaked wheat the mash can get gunked up easily. If I am using anything 'flaked' or 'wheat' I usually just throw in some rice hulls. They are cheap, inert, and I would rather not have to deal with a stuck sparge/mash.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply