Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > stuck run off

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2005, 04:29 PM   #11
HAZEr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Rice Hulls

While I haven't needed to add rice hulls with any of the batches I've done, several members of my club have.

It would seem to make sense that if you can mix your adjuncts evenly with your malt, you'll have more contact with enzymes. If this is true you should get better conversion than by adding them to the top. That's my theory anyway.

If you can find a source other than a homebrew shop they are cheap. I've heard 1.50 a pound from one shop which is silly for something that adds nothing to OG.

< This space under development >

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2005, 06:55 PM   #12
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

the stout tasted good when i racked it to the secondary yesterday i am mightly pleased, despite the hassle.

my mash yesterday didn't stick (it was only two row malt), so i am gonna rebrew the same stout recipe next week.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 05-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #13
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When I mash, I usually allow a couple inches of water on top of the grain bed. This way, even when I draw wort off the bottom for the recirc, I still have enough liquid to keep the grain bed from compressing. My system is pretty primitive. I draw off the bottom into a pitcher, then pour back on the top through a slotted spoon. After doing that for a half hour or so, all the grain dust and undesirable "goopy" stuff seems to be locked up in the grain bed. That way, it doesn't make it into my beer.

It usually takes about 45-60 min for me to sparge. Then, on to the boil.

Mmmmmm sweet nectar of the gods...

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 05-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i rebrewed the same recipe with the flaked barley on the top of the grains in the tun... no problems... i noticed the flaked barley easily doubled in size, so i could see where in the last mash it clogged the manifold.

w00t!

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quick Reply