Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stuck Mash / HSA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 575 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 442

Default Stuck Mash / HSA

I read a thread a while back and can't seem to find it. The OP had a stuck mash and had to dump it out and start over. Well, I had my first stuck mash today. No flow right from the first time I opened the valve. Blowing in through the tube bubbled in the mash, but it would not flow in the out direction. I dumped the mash in a bucket. Couldn't find anything wrong. Put it back in the tun and after that it flowed fine.

Still don't have clue what happened, but my fear is HSA from dumping the mash back and forth. I just listened to the pod cast on HSA, but was curious how the OP's beer turned out or if anyone else has had a similar experience and has some insight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #2
bushump
Recipes 

I had the exact same problem. I had to dump in bucket and then fix manifold that had spilt and it flowed just fine. I actually finished at a higher efficency than expected. I just bottled a few days ago and will let you know when I crack them open.

Brandon

Old 05-05-2008, 01:59 AM   #3
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Funny. My efficiency was up also. May be we're on to a new brewing technique.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:08 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4480 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

It happened to me TWICE last week! My little hose disconnected from the false bottom. Not just one. I must have hit it with my mash paddle, but it really was a PITA. I think it'll be ok! I mean, I think HSA is more of a myth anyway. Plus, we're boiling after the mash- so wouldn't that drive off any o2? not like after the boil? Well, that's what I'm telling myself anyway.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
morrighu
Recipes 

You run it off into a boil kettle anyway and then when you're done, you oxygenate it for the yeast. I really don't see a problem with this either.

2 cents,

M.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I went through something very similar when I brewed my version of the 888. I did however remember the Basic Brewing podcast w/ Charlie P where he mentioned that perhaps his addition of cinnamon (an anti-oxidant) prevents HSA in his brews where he strains the collected wort. I tossed a bit of cinnamon into the kettle and to date, no signs of oxidation.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Quote:
morrighu wrote:
You run it off into a boil kettle anyway and then when you're done, you oxygenate it for the yeast. I really don't see a problem with this either.

If I understood the pod cast correctly, the oxygen bonding that takes place during the mash is something that is not reversible through boiling. The big question is how much this will affect the beer and they didn’t really have a firm answer.

brewt00l. Unfortunately, I listened to the pod cast AFTER I was done brewing, so didn’t get to try the cinnamon trick. How did the 888 turn out? Did the cinnamon change the character of the beer? Is it old enough to tell if there is any oxygenation.

Yooper, I hope I can remember to revisit this thread in a couple of months to see how your experience works out.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
brewt00l. Unfortunately, I listened to the pod cast AFTER I was done brewing, so didn’t get to try the cinnamon trick. How did the 888 turn out? Did the cinnamon change the character of the beer? Is it old enough to tell if there is any oxygenation.
The cinnamon is not noticeable in the flavor of the 888. I used about a 3/4 tablespoon tops (it was kinda a Chinese firedrill moment)....course, that is a pretty bold brew to begin with and if it were something more subtle, perhaps it would be different. It was brewed at the end of December so it's still pretty young in the grand scheme. All things considered per the BB podcast on the topic, you have to really abuse your brew to introduce negative HSA effects.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

I had to do this on a few brews when I started using a false bottom and never noticed any negative effects. In fact, my original setup was a cooler with no braid/manifold for a mash tun. After the mash I would transfer the grains to a bucket-in-bucket lauter tun for sparging. Never had a bad beer, so I say don't sweat it.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Next time instead of just blowing into the hose, give it a back-blast with a garden hose and spray nozzle.

It worked for me every time until I started using rice hulls...now...no more slow/stuck sparges.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply