New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stuck fermentation or too efficient a mash




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
mhochman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 254
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foltster

All the efficiency is measuring is how much of the potential sugar you have released from the barley. The missing percentage is what you havent rinsed out of the mash. We don't get 100% because it is difficult to extract that last little bit without using mechanical means.
Got it. So just to change my wording: I'm wondering if I rinsed out more converted sugar than expected, raising the expected gravities all around.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk


__________________
mhochman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #12
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 3,955
Liked 111 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

yes, but going 3 pts higher in OG doesnt equate to 9 pts higher in fg. it should only raise it about 1pt

from what you've told us, nothing sounds wrong with what you did so im a bit confused why you have a stuck ferment. give the warmer temps and agitation a shot and hopefully it does the trick. if it doesn't, there are some more ways to try to restart a fermentation, or you can just let it be if you feel safe bottling it since it tastes good as is.



__________________
dcp27 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #13
mhochman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 254
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27
yes, but going 3 pts higher in OG doesnt equate to 9 pts higher in fg. it should only raise it about 1pt

from what you've told us, nothing sounds wrong with what you did so im a bit confused why you have a stuck ferment. give the warmer temps and agitation a shot and hopefully it does the trick. if it doesn't, there are some more ways to try to restart a fermentation, or you can just let it be if you feel safe bottling it since it tastes good as is.
Sitting tight. Temp already sitting about 68. Hoping to see it around 70.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk
__________________
mhochman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
foltster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU, NC
Posts: 281
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I think you are going down the right path here. If you raise the temp and see no significant change in FG then the yeast has likely consumed all the sugar it is going to.

__________________

Still brewing...

foltster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 58,763
Liked 3882 Times on 2835 Posts
Likes Given: 654

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhochman View Post
Got it. So just to change my wording: I'm wondering if I rinsed out more converted sugar than expected, raising the expected gravities all around.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk
No, you WANT to rinse out all of the sugars you can. You didn't do too badly, getting 79%- a typical homebrew efficiency.

I really feel that your thermometer is off. No way a 1.050ish OG with nottingham would finish at 1.020 unless you mashed at 155/156. But if your thermometer is even 2 degrees inaccurate, that could easily be what happened! I'd double check that thermometer calibration before you brew again.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
mhochman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 254
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

I really feel that your thermometer is off. No way a 1.050ish OG with nottingham would finish at 1.020 unless you mashed at 155/156. But if your thermometer is even 2 degrees inaccurate, that could easily be what happened! I'd double check that thermometer calibration before you brew again.

Makes perfect sense. I was looming to get a digital thermometer to leave in the mash, so maybe I'll do that now. I'm glad I asked, because in my mind I had only considered a fermentation issue and I'm too knew at AG to know what to think about there. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk
__________________
mhochman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 58,763
Liked 3882 Times on 2835 Posts
Likes Given: 654

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhochman View Post
Makes perfect sense. I was looming to get a digital thermometer to leave in the mash, so maybe I'll do that now. I'm glad I asked, because in my mind I had only considered a fermentation issue and I'm too knew at AG to know what to think about there. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk
There a lots of factors in attenuation- yeast strain, mash temperature, ingredients, yeast health and oxygenation, temperature, etc.

But in this case, while there is some crystal and Munich malt in your grainbill (assuming, since you said Fat Tire clone), there aren't going to be many unfermentables unless you mashed at a high temperature.

Since you had good conversion apparently and good lautering efficiency, used a well-attenating ale yeast, had fermentable ingredients, etc, only a couple of things could be the cause. One would be poor yeast health- like under aeration of the wort- but more likely it is a too-high mash temperature leaving too many unfermentable long-chained sugars.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #18
mhochman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 254
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

No movement after three days. I'm kegging it tonight. Amazing beer will have to now just be really great beer. Learned a lot on this thread, though. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

__________________
mhochman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #19
mhochman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 254
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I really feel that your thermometer is off. No way a 1.050ish OG with nottingham would finish at 1.020 unless you mashed at 155/156. But if your thermometer is even 2 degrees inaccurate, that could easily be what happened! I'd double check that thermometer calibration before you brew again.
Sorry to wake this old thread, but today I calibrated the thermometer I had used on that brew day with two others that were consistent with each other. Turns out my "old" thermometer was almost 10 degrees off! Thank you so much for helping me to realize that could be the issue. I had brewed again between that batch and today's and the batch in between was definitely off as well.

Appreciate the help.


__________________
mhochman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it possible for a mash to be too efficient? adromo All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 13 10-19-2010 08:29 PM
Stuck mash baer19d All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 09-21-2010 08:36 PM
Trying to find the most efficient mash tun Crazyfists All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 18 08-27-2010 04:01 PM
Stuck Mash / HSA AnOldUR All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 14 05-08-2008 06:51 PM
how efficient was this mash? Mk010101 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 05-01-2007 07:26 AM