Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stuck Fermentation or Not?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 04:09 AM   #11
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
What was in the partial mash, and what temperature? If there are lots of long chain sugars then Beano might be your best bet.
Also, what temperature is it fermenting at, and how much yeast did you pitch? It could be just be moving very slow in which case bottling would be a bad idea.
7lbs of 2-row
1lb of crystal 15L
1lb of crystal 40L
5lbs of ultra light extract
2 packets of S-05 (rehydrated)
Pitched yeast at about 72F temp increased to about 75F during the violent fermentation. Had a few very cold days and the temp dropped to 63-65F range, which is where I think this may have gone awry. it never seemed to recover even after swirling and raising the temp to 72F.

I've never heard of adding Beano to a stuck fermentation. I have seen people talk about adding yeast nutrient and yeast energizer when re-pitching, but I've never had such a large discrepancy in the FG. I have had issues with not getting as low as expected while using extract, but usually only 1.024 when expecting 1.018.

Mouse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #12
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 122

That's a ton of crystal malt in a 5 gallon recipe, plus the extract probably has lots, particularly if you are finishing at 1.024. Your beer might be done at 1.033, but pitching more yeast at high krausen wouldn't hurt it. Be careful about oxidation, though.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal View Post
That's a ton of crystal malt in a 5 gallon recipe, plus the extract probably has lots, particularly if you are finishing at 1.024. Your beer might be done at 1.033, but pitching more yeast at high krausen wouldn't hurt it. Be careful about oxidation, though.
I wanted more of an amber IIPA. I may just try some yeast nutrient/energizer first and see if that will re-start the yeast.

Mouse

Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 881

I don't think the energizer/nutrient addition alone will wake em up.
I'd make an S-05 starter, and add that to the secondary at high krausen, like pdxal said.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting: 2'd Clone
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

That's a little more crystal than you might find in other recipes, but wouldn't expect that to be all of the problem. What was the mash temp? Have you checked your thermometer in boiling water?

This may be of interest:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...stal-malt.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 03-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
That's a little more crystal than you might find in other recipes, but wouldn't expect that to be all of the problem. What was the mash temp? Have you checked your thermometer in boiling water?
Mashed at 152F and Sparged at 168F. It wasn't the crystal malts, I am thinking that the LME didn't have a great amount of fermentable sugar in it (part of the reasons I've had trouble reaching expected FG on my earlier brews is my guess).

Mouse

Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
I don't think the energizer/nutrient addition alone will wake em up.
I'd make an S-05 starter, and add that to the secondary at high krausen, like pdxal said.
You are correct, the energizer did not roust the little beasties. I had rinsed the yeast from another APA and made a starter and pitched that 24 hours after making the starter. Within an hour the airlock on the IIPA was bubbling, which I'm hoping is a good sign that I'm back under way.

Mouse

Old 05-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #18
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That didn't change anything. I ended up dumping the batch. It tasted of unfermented extract and I was spending more trying to get it restarted than I spent on it to begin with.

Mouse

Quick Reply