Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stuck fermentation help needed - Northern Brewer Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 05:23 AM   #21
MachineShopBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
The temperature of the fermenting beer is 67.5 degrees. It is recommended for this yeast to have a temp of 55-70. The first couple of days it was over 70 (74ish) so I put it in a swamp cooler and got it down to between 64-68. Would this drop in temperature after having a higher temperature mess with the yeast and cause it to slow down or stop?
Yes, it quite possibly could have, but most likely it is the extract as others have said.

1.032 isn't that bad of a FG for a RIS. I just did an AG one that finished at 1.030 with a OG of 1.100. Surly Brewing Darkness finishes at 1.039 if you calculate from information on their website.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #22
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBills View Post
Ohh ok it is the specialty grains kit, I thought it qualified as partial mash. Now I get it. Could you point me in the direction of a good imperial stout recipe that you would recommend?
for 5 gallon extract recipe
10lbs light/ex-light DME (if you prefer LME it would be a good time to try 12lbs Norther brewers marris otter since its a converted AG recipe)
1.25 lb Roasted Barley
.75 lb Special B Malt
.75 lb Chocolate Malt
.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine malt (sub 10L crystal if you have too)
4oz challenger 60minutes
2oz kent goldings 30 minutes

s-04 dry
it works best pitching on a cake from a prior batch

1 month primary
6 months secondary
4-6 months bottle conditioning
Old 09-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #23
DaBills
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
for 5 gallon extract recipe
10lbs light/ex-light DME (if you prefer LME it would be a good time to try 12lbs Norther brewers marris otter since its a converted AG recipe)
1.25 lb Roasted Barley
.75 lb Special B Malt
.75 lb Chocolate Malt
.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine malt (sub 10L crystal if you have too)
4oz challenger 60minutes
2oz kent goldings 30 minutes

s-04 dry
it works best pitching on a cake from a prior batch

1 month primary
6 months secondary
4-6 months bottle conditioning
Nice, thanks.

Go Bills!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 03:29 AM   #24
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBills

Right on. I'm just gonna leave it for awhile. It tastes good and I don't want to mess with a good thing.
It'll very likely turn out really good. 1.032ish is fine with an RIS in my opinion. Don't let the naysayers let you think otherwise. If the FG has stabilized for a couple/few days at a stable temp, it's done and can be bottled - age won't hurt it though.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #25
DaBills
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
It'll very likely turn out really good. 1.032ish is fine with an RIS in my opinion. Don't let the naysayers let you think otherwise. If the FG has stabilized for a couple/few days at a stable temp, it's done and can be bottled - age won't hurt it though.
Thanks, I tasted it again today when I was checking gravity (unchanged) and it tastes awesome so I'm not worried. I do want to let it sit in primary for a little longer. Unsure as to whether I should do secondary or not. Directions that came with kit say to put it in secondary for 2-3 months. Can I just leave it in primary instead with no negative effects? I was thinking of bottling after Thanksgiving and drinking around Christmas.

Today I took it out of the swamp cooler so it should be at about 70 degrees now. I also gently stirred as per duboman's advice earlier in the thread. I'm not too concerned about lowering gravity now but if it works, it works.

Go Bills!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #26
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBills

Thanks, I tasted it again today when I was checking gravity (unchanged) and it tastes awesome so I'm not worried. I do want to let it sit in primary for a little longer. Unsure as to whether I should do secondary or not. Directions that came with kit say to put it in secondary for 2-3 months. Can I just leave it in primary instead with no negative effects? I was thinking of bottling after Thanksgiving and drinking around Christmas.

Today I took it out of the swamp cooler so it should be at about 70 degrees now. I also gently stirred as per duboman's advice earlier in the thread. I'm not too concerned about lowering gravity now but if it works, it works.
If you let it go 2-3 months, you should probably secondary it. That's a long time.

Quick Reply