Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stuck fermentation help needed - Northern Brewer Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #11
DrHop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Does it taste good? Can somebody write a script which posts this automatically whenever "stuck fermentation" is written in a thread. A high gravity reading doesn't mean it will be cloyingly sweet, only your taste buds will tell you that.

From your description, I'd say its done fermenting. Dropping the temperature may have stopped it a few points early but since its all the fermentables are from extract it probably wasn't going to get down super low. Realistically 1.025 may have been possible and 1.032 isn't that far away.

If I were you, I'd leave it sit for a few weeks more. You can probably let it warm back up to ~70F. Its a high ABV beer at this point so it probably needs the extra time to just sit there anyway. Maybe you'll lose a couple gravity points over that time. If you don't, its probably still gonna be good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 04:12 AM   #12
DaBills
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevester View Post
It shouldn't. The champagne yeast won't have all that much to eat, if anything, and won't impact the flavor noticeably. Had you used only champagne yeast, yeah, it'd be much drier. Also, it will ensure you have live yeast for bottling.

The champagne yeast advice was given to me by a brewer at Sun King in Indy, so I trust his judgment.
Cool, thanks

Go Bills!

Old 09-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #13
DaBills
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHop View Post
Does it taste good? Can somebody write a script which posts this automatically whenever "stuck fermentation" is written in a thread. A high gravity reading doesn't mean it will be cloyingly sweet, only your taste buds will tell you that.

From your description, I'd say its done fermenting. Dropping the temperature may have stopped it a few points early but since its all the fermentables are from extract it probably wasn't going to get down super low. Realistically 1.025 may have been possible and 1.032 isn't that far away.

If I were you, I'd leave it sit for a few weeks more. You can probably let it warm back up to ~70F. Its a high ABV beer at this point so it probably needs the extra time to just sit there anyway. Maybe you'll lose a couple gravity points over that time. If you don't, its probably still gonna be good.
It tastes good. It may very well be done, as you say. I will let it sit though .

Go Bills!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #14
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

i can't find a partial mash imperial stout at northern brewer, just an extract with specialty grains kit.
12 lbs of dark extract
1/2lb chocolate
1/2lb black
1/2lb roasted
(i cant think of a worse imperial stout recipe)
I don't care what NB lists as a FG, thats going to finish high, really high.
you said you brewed it on 9/7, check it in november

Old 09-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #15
DrHop
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Sorry if that came off as me being a jerk but if it tastes good then I don't see a problem. I'd rather have my RIS a little sweet anyway compared to something with no body and too dry.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #16
DrHop
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab
i can't find a partial mash imperial stout at northern brewer, just an extract with specialty grains kit.
12 lbs of dark extract
1/2lb chocolate
1/2lb black
1/2lb roasted
"Northern Brewer Dark malt syrup is a blend of pale malt with some caramel 60, Munich, and black malt." The LME is only 30L so all those dark malts are needed but probably a little overboard. I think its a pretty basic RIS recipe. I do agree that the FG is probably higher because of all the extract.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #17
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
I do agree that the FG is probably higher because of all the extract.
because of all the dark extract
the 1.5lbs of grains aren't the problem
Old 09-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #18
DaBills
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
12 lbs of dark extract
1/2lb chocolate
1/2lb black
1/2lb roasted
Ohh ok it is the specialty grains kit, I thought it qualified as partial mash. Now I get it. Could you point me in the direction of a good imperial stout recipe that you would recommend?

Go Bills!

Old 09-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
DaBills
Recipes 

Quote:
Sorry if that came off as me being a jerk but if it tastes good then I don't see a problem. I'd rather have my RIS a little sweet anyway compared to something with no body and too dry.
Right on. I'm just gonna leave it for awhile. It tastes good and I don't want to mess with a good thing.

Go Bills!

Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #20
Keithww
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would rack it to a secondary and try to pick up a little yeast and let that sit 3 weeks at 70 to see if you drop a few points, then decide if you want to let it bulk age longer, re-pitch, or go ahead and bottle. It is a RIS so it is going to have more body than most beers, so you may not be that far off, but you don't want a little extra sugar if you bottle them and let them age for 6 months, a sure way to have bottle bombs.

Quick Reply