New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stuck Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
WhoAmI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stuck Fermentation

I did my first all grain Sunday night. As of now I still have seen no indications of fermentation. I was a little off on my temps, but not hugely, and my OG was only .01 off. Is it too early to worry or should I re-pitch? What could be the cause of this? The yeast I used was a Wyeast pack.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What was the OG, yeast you used, and temperature you pitched at? Also, what temperature is it fermenting at now? Did you aerate liberally?

Old 01-31-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
WhoAmI
Recipes 

The yeast I used was the Ringwood ale Wyeast #1187. The OG was 1.05 when it asked for 1.061. It is fermenting at 68.4 degrees. My only question was I did the brewing outside, and it was in the high 30s, and I had the yeast out there with me on accident, and didn't activate it until about 1.5 hours before (forgot all about it while doing the other stuff). It only swelled up a very little bit. I'm wondering if the cold caused the yeast to go dormant or something like that. I didn't aerate too much, but did a litte bit.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoAmI
The yeast I used was the Ringwood ale Wyeast #1187. The OG was 1.05 when it asked for 1.061. It is fermenting at 68.4 degrees. My only question was I did the brewing outside, and it was in the high 30s, and I had the yeast out there with me on accident, and didn't activate it until about 1.5 hours before (forgot all about it while doing the other stuff). It only swelled up a very little bit. I'm wondering if the cold caused the yeast to go dormant or something like that. I didn't aerate too much, but did a litte bit.
Hmmm...well 4 days with no activity is not a good sign. Are you using a plastic or glass fermenter? If it's glass, do you see any krausen forming? If it's plastic, are you sure the lid and airlock are on tight? Sometimes the CO2 will escape in other places and cause no airlock activity making you think it's not fermenting.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:15 PM   #5
WhoAmI
Recipes 

It's plastic... and it's definitely on tight, have checked that probably a dozen times hoping that was it.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
WhoAmI
Recipes 

I took another reading, it was rather hard to tell, but somewhere between 1.04 and 1.05, closer to .05 I think... and a green fungus seems to be growing. I'd say I screwed this one up. Here is a picture...

Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #8
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

That looks like krausen to me. Put the lid back on and RDWHAHB.

-a.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:50 AM   #9
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3848 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Looks just like it's supposed to! Take another sg in a few days. It's easier to take an sg if you sanitize a turkey baster and put the sample in a test jar. You're trying to read it right now through krausen, which means it's fermenting!

Quick Reply