The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stuck ferment GOSH!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Those programs do not take into account the lack of fermentabilitiy of crystal malts nor the mash temp when calcualting FG.

You might actually like the taste once it's bottled/kegged.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
perry
Recipes 

Just a thought... I'm lookin' at that grain bill and thinkin' theres an awful lot of unfermentable in there. That, with the possibility of a mash temperature discrepancy of two or three degrees...... I dunno, Maybe 25 is as low as it's gonna go.

Not to be depressing or anything....

Old 03-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Hey, ya know, I'm just going to chalk it up to getting frickin creative and trying to craft my own recipe without knowing what the hell I'm doing. I'm kinda disappointed that beersmith wouldn't factor in fermentability of certain malts and mash temps. My trail ran out so I can't test this for sure.

What I'm thinking of doing is making a quick highly fermentable 1 gallon batch by mashing 2-3 pounds of two-row in the high 140's and then bittering it a little more than a pale ale. If I find the stout to be too sweet even after force carbing, I could ditch a gallon and mix in the 1 gallon batch to bump the alcohol and bitterness to balance.

We're learning here.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-29-2007, 08:16 PM   #14
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Hey, ya know, I'm just going to chalk it up to getting frickin creative and trying to craft my own recipe without knowing what the hell I'm doing. I'm kinda disappointed that beersmith wouldn't factor in fermentability of certain malts and mash temps. My trail ran out so I can't test this for sure.

We're learning here.
That's what I say and was just trying to point that out...hopefully without being critical? Being creative is important, and we learn by doing. I don't think there are exact ways to gauge mash fermentability via software. Two factors. One is that you are dealing with approximate numbers to begin with for pppg, diastatic power, etc. Two the effect of temperature on the mash is tied to diastatic power and some other factors....so it doesn't surprise me that the software isn't spot on. The only really true way you could hope to hit exact consistency is to have an automated mash process and to actually test the dp of all your malts in a batch (or have an analysis sheet from the batch which I have yet to see from my supplier(s)).

Perhaps next time you can bump down the Crytal malts (don't go crazy though, just tweak) and see what happens. Fwiw, my Oatmeal Stout finishes out at 1.020 and it is really nice imo. So, like was mentioned before you should give it some time and see how it pans out after conditioning. Personally I wouldn't mess with it.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Last edited by zoebisch01; 03-29-2007 at 08:18 PM.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #15
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

None of the programs take it into account (that I'm aware). You can make a recipe with 100% crystal malts and it will estimate that it will ferment just as well as a 100% base malt mash. I think they only take yeast attenuation into account for estimated FG.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #16
perry
Recipes 

Yeah, man, I've never used a program to formulate recipes. And after twenty years of brewing, I'm still tweaking the old favorites and playing around with the basics... This site has so much good info, and so many knowledgeable folks, a guy almost learn to brew just by reading the posts here--- almost. Trial and erro... no, trial and trial. Experience as teacher. OK, I'll quit before I get too weird.

Cheers, everyone -p

Old 03-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #17
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

What did you have for hops? times? Curious to your ibu's. And is that roast barley or black patent in there? If it's not roast or chocolate malt, then you don't really have a stout.

It will be "sweet" but not as sweet as you think. Not like a lactose stout for sure. Wait till it's carbed. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised. Depending on your bitterness it might balance out ok.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 03-30-2007 at 01:30 AM.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:45 PM   #18
bandt9299
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

2 tabs of Beano should bring it to about 1.015

Old 04-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #19
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys Fine Consumptibles
What did you have for hops? times? Curious to your ibu's. And is that roast barley or black patent in there? If it's not roast or chocolate malt, then you don't really have a stout.

It will be "sweet" but not as sweet as you think. Not like a lactose stout for sure. Wait till it's carbed. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised. Depending on your bitterness it might balance out ok.

I let this stout age a bit in secondary and I finally kegged and carbed it. I never did take a final gravity after all that but I don't suppose it got much lower than 1.022. It's actually pretty damned good! It would have been a little better if it dried out a bit. I suppose a tiny bit more bitter would have also balanced it out.

For hops, I used:
1.00 oz Northern Brewer Leaf [8.50%] (70 min) Hops 27.2 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (70 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-
Steep) Hops -

So that's about 43 IBU. I've been playing around with adding small shots of my IPA to it to see if a little extra bitter would help. Either way, it's drinkable. I'll have to bring some to big brew day to let some of my brew club member weigh in. I don't really have a lot of stout experience.

Finally, from another thread we flushed out that my "black barley" is Briesse's interpretation of a roasted. From their site:

Black Barley
500 Coffee, Intense Bitter, Dry Black Barley provides the color and rich, sharp flavor which is characteristic of Stouts and some Porters.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #20
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my First all grains are getting stuck around 1.020 as well (ive been searching for oxygenation sytems this week). After reading this i was just wondering what mash temps have to do with the FG? maybe thats my problem and not the aeration issues.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Quick Reply