Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stuck ferment GOSH!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 04:49 AM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1073 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Stuck ferment GOSH!

8 days in and my AG stout is stuck at 1.025. It started at 1.55 and I mashed at an average of 153F so I was expecting to get to 1.015 minimum.

7lb 2-row
1lb Flaked Barley
1lb Flaked Oats
1lb Crystal 80
.75 Black Barley
.5 Crystal 120

It tastes pretty good but a little too sweet.

This was the batch that made me think rehydrating dry yeast(Nottingham) is definitely better than dry pitching. I moved the carboy to warmer areas, about 70 ambient and I'm not getting anything.

Repitch? Is this stuff too sweet for even a sweet stout?

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #2
Willsellout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

dude, stuck even with the aeration system? WTF? Personally a sweet stout is definitely tasty, especially if you have a girl around

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 03-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
AleHole
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I had this happen to me on a porter. Swirl your carboy around a bit to resuspend the yeast and wait a couple more weeks. It took mine about 6 weeks to finally ferment down to 1.010. This might help.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:25 AM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleHole
I had this happen to me on a porter. Swirl your carboy around a bit to resuspend the yeast and wait a couple more weeks. It took mine about 6 weeks to finally ferment down to 1.010. This might help.
Yes, I second this recommendation. But do it SLOWLY or your airlock will bubble like mad and almost pop off as CO2 is released from the fermenting wort.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Yeah, it's even more frustrating since I do inject pure O2 and my previous tests have shown it to be effective for more complete fermentations. I knew something was up when it hadn't gotten really going in 12 hours. It was my 11th batch ever but my first where I did not hydrate the dry yeast before pitching. It's easy to blame that one variable but that would be faulty logic. I've got half a pouch of Safale 04 that I'm thinking about rehydrating. I'll drop a cup or so of the wort in to see if there are any more fermentables (can't imagine there isn't). If so, I'll dump that yeast in. I don't think there's that big of a diff between Nottingham and S-04.

This is inspiring me to do another aeration experiment with a few more variables like much lower cell count pitching, short burst of 02, extremely long O2 session (to see if too much is too much), etc.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-29-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

So I'm 18 days in and the SG is now only down to 1.023. I tried repitching with some S-04 and got nothing out of it. Raised the temps to an even 70F. Nothing. I finally racked to secondary last night and it's not showing any signs of additional fermentation. I'm gonna let it sit for another two weeks to see what happens, but I'm not sure this one is even going to make the keg. Uggh. I mean, I'm not a fan of Stouts in the first place but was hoping to give it some fatherly love and get turned on to them over the course of a 5 gallon batch. If anyone likes sweet stouts, you're welcome to come take a gallon or two off my hands.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Bobby, I think in part your high percentage of Crystal malts contributed to the high FG.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You can add some alpha amylase to it...that'll finish it up. Or beano, essentially the same thing.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-29-2007, 07:50 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Thanks for the tip Dude, I'll give Beano a shot.

zoe... I agree that could be a factor but beersmith put the estimated FG at 1.014 and I'd assume it accounts for the fermentability of all ingredients. I'd be happy with this if it would just get down to the high teens.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

2.25 pounds of mainly unfermentable sugars are probably 10-11 points of the sticky. I don't use beersmith, but it seems like many people have been getting odd results with it.

Be warned: Beano can keep the ferment going for a long time.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply