Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > stuck ferment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
lupulin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default stuck ferment

I am having a problem with a stuck fermentation.

I made a really big RIS, 1.120 og about 2 months ago. I made a lower gravity beer (1.057) to get a really nice yeast cake to rack onto and everything was fine. Fermentation started really fast and vigorous. It sat on the yeast for a month to let the yeast do all they could to clean up the beer.

When I racked to the secondary, I took a gravity and it only came down to 1.040. I got 2 qts. of fresh yeast from a local brewery right out of their tanks to pitch into the secondary to see if that helps. Very little airlock activity since. I racked the beer off of the yeast after another month and took another gravity, still 1.040

Do you think the yeast just can't take the alcohol and it is done? Both times, the yeast was 1056. I am planing on letting the beer age off the yeast another 6 months so I am in no hurry. What should I do? Something, nothing, I don't know.

It is sitting in my basement, and it holds a pretty constant 63-64*. I think that is all the pertinent info.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have never made high gravity brews so take my advise with a grain of salt.

What was your actual grainbill? perhaps your unfermentables are keeping the gravity up, or like you suspect the 1056 isn't up to a high gravity situation. Try pitching a champange yeast if this is the case of the latter. Were there enough nutrients in your wort to sustain the long ferment?

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 01-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
lupulin
Recipes 

here is the recipe:

24lb domestic 2 row
24lb marris otter
4.5lb roasted barley
2.0lb flaked barley
2.0 flaked oats
1.5lb Chocolate malt
1.5lb Cyrstal 90
2 cup organic coffe added to mash
4lb Dark Muscovado Sugar (end of boil)

I didn't end up using Muscovado sugar, I used some other sugar I got at the Mexican grocery store that I forget the name of. It looked like the sugar home brewers buy that is shaped like a cone, but it was in a bag and they looked like just the bottom 1.5" of the cone if that makes any sense.

Quick Reply