Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Strike water help / Pre-heat tun / Beersmith

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Pre-heating may have other benefits outside of just hitting your initial temperatures.

I have not been pre-heating my MLT to this point but for my next batch I will be. The reason being that my mash will lose 2-4 degrees over the course of an hour. Your mash and your MLT want to reach equilibrium in terms of temperature so you can either not pre-heat and simply allow your mash do the work of heating the MLT or you can pre-heat and give your mash a head start.

I'd leave the box for "Adjust temp for my equipment" (or whatever it's called) unchecked and just plan to heat your strike to 5 degrees over where you want. Pour the strike into the MLT, close the lid and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Take the lid off and if your temp is still high stir to cool and dough-in.

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

^^^^

Exactly. This method works great for me, and it's easy to adjust temps down with a few cups of cold water from the hose if you overshoot the mark by too much.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #13
cbird01
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyfoot Jr. View Post
Pre-heating may have other benefits outside of just hitting your initial temperatures.

I have not been pre-heating my MLT to this point but for my next batch I will be. The reason being that my mash will lose 2-4 degrees over the course of an hour. Your mash and your MLT want to reach equilibrium in terms of temperature so you can either not pre-heat and simply allow your mash do the work of heating the MLT or you can pre-heat and give your mash a head start.

I'd leave the box for "Adjust temp for my equipment" (or whatever it's called) unchecked and just plan to heat your strike to 5 degrees over where you want. Pour the strike into the MLT, close the lid and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Take the lid off and if your temp is still high stir to cool and dough-in.
Ok, this makes sense to me...thanks guys!

Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #14
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbird01 View Post
Do you mean you type it into Beersmith and go 2-3 degrees above the strikwater temp they give you?
Exactly, then you check the water temp after you pour it in. I let it sit for a minute, if it's a little high you can stir a degree or two out in no time. Or you can check after you add the grains, it's easier to go down a degree or two then up.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:54 PM   #15
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
If I figure my strike water should be 170 I'd dump the water in at 178*F wait until it drops to 170*F to add my grain.
Same here; I set a digital thermometer to go off when it gets close so I am ready to mash-in when it hits the strike temp.

Quick Reply