Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Strawberry or Blueberry
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
wheels4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 157
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Strawberry or Blueberry

I have brewed a Strawberry Blonde a few times and is comes out great. I add 4 lbs. of fresh frozen strawberries to the secondary. Im thinking about doing a Blueberry this time. I love Blue Points Blueberry Ale and was wondering how many lbs. of berries to use? Do blueberries give as much or less flavor then strawberries? If anyone has made this before help would be appreciated. If not I will post results incase anyone else is looking to do the same. I dont want to use extract as it is not the same.

__________________
wheels4 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
MrPat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ossining, Ny
Posts: 20
Default

Would you mind posting a recipe? The quantity of fruit is gonna depend on the base beer. In my experience blueberries have a more assertive flavor than strawberries in beer but again, it all depends.

__________________
MrPat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
wheels4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 157
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

The recipe is
9lbs. 2 row
1lb. crystal 20
1lb. vienna
5 oz. flaked wheat

.5oz. cascade 60
.5oz. cascade 30
.5oz. cascade 15
.5oz. cascade 10
1 oz. tettenger 2

us-05 yeast

OG was 1.057

__________________

Last edited by wheels4; 07-10-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: OG
wheels4 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #4
avidhomebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,552
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Default

In my experience, I need more blueberries for the same effect as I would strawberries. For a 5 gallon batch, I would use 10# of strawberries; for blueberries, I would use close to 15#.

__________________
avidhomebrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
wheels4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 157
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer View Post
In my experience, I need more blueberries for the same effect as I would strawberries. For a 5 gallon batch, I would use 10# of strawberries; for blueberries, I would use close to 15#.
Thank You that points me in the right direction.
__________________
wheels4 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
OLDBREW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SJ
Posts: 759
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

how are you using the strawberry/blueberry in your brewing session? fresh, frozen, whole, puree, in the secondary, primary fermenter?

I'd use fresh blueberries, first pasturized 170* for 15-20 minutes then puree in a food processor or blender.

IMHO 10 pounds of blueberries would go a long way in the secondary. keep tasting the brew until desire level is met. then use gelatin for finings and crash cool to drop out the particles before transfering to keg or bottling bucket

__________________
OLDBREW is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
wheels4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 157
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDBREW View Post
how are you using the strawberry/blueberry in your brewing session? fresh, frozen, whole, puree, in the secondary, primary fermenter?

I'd use fresh blueberries, first pasturized 170* for 15-20 minutes then puree in a food processor or blender.

IMHO 10 pounds of blueberries would go a long way in the secondary. keep tasting the brew until desire level is met. then use gelatin for finings and crash cool to drop out the particles before transfering to keg or bottling bucket
I usually use fresh frozen. I just thaw them out put them in a bag and leave in secondary for 7-10 days. If I puree should I put in a bag?
__________________
wheels4 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 818
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels4 View Post
I have brewed a Strawberry Blonde a few times and is comes out great. I add 4 lbs. of fresh frozen strawberries to the secondary. Im thinking about doing a Blueberry this time. I love Blue Points Blueberry Ale and was wondering how many lbs. of berries to use? Do blueberries give as much or less flavor then strawberries? If anyone has made this before help would be appreciated. If not I will post results incase anyone else is looking to do the same. I dont want to use extract as it is not the same.
Blueberry hands down! I would use 3lbs per gallon. so 15lbs for a 5 gallon batch.
__________________

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Vance71975 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #9
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Williamsburg, Va
Posts: 1,154
Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Default

Dude, that's like $150 in blueberries.

__________________
Brewskii is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
eastoak
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: oakland, california
Posts: 3,212
Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

never understood the fruit beer thing, gotta try some commercial examples to see what the appeal is.

__________________
eastoak is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strawberry dubbel Brewster2256 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 27 04-01-2010 11:51 PM
Blueberry Wit Lindyrig All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 11-06-2009 04:24 PM
Lemon Strawberry Ale IXVolt All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 07-31-2009 11:30 PM
blueberry wheat THEDIETZ All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 06-14-2009 08:04 PM
Strawberry Blonde WillieRivers All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 09-10-2005 10:48 PM