Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > strainers on a mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
wetchicken6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default strainers on a mash tun

I used a 1/2" stainless braide hose as my mash tun strainer. It clogged in no time at all. I ended scooping the wort out and straining it. I have 3 inches of sediment on the bottom of my fermenter. Also I did a rolling boil for an hour for a 5 gallon batch that started with 5-1/2 gallons and I only finished with 3-1/2 to 4 gallons in the fermenter. I did not have the brew kettle lid on during the boil as well. T[PHP]he only thing i can think of is that i had to much heat and it resulted in that much evaporation. Will this change the flavor if i had too much heat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

without knowing exactly how you constructed the braid, it's hard to tell what the problem is. did you reinforce the inside with anything? it could be that it's collapsing and not allowing anything to flow through it.

i almost always boil off 1.5 gallons during a one hour boil. so, that matches up with your boil off rate pretty close, which i think it fairly common for a lot of brewers. i know you didn't, but you don't want the lid on the pot at all during boiling. it will affect the flavor because it is a more concentrated wort now. it will have a higher alcohol percentage also, but of course, there will be less of it.

the sediment in your fermenter is called 'trub' and is a combination of proteins, hop debris and other stuff. don't worry about it, it will compact itself into 1 inch or less in no time, you will just need to leave it all behind when you go to bottle or keg or whatever your next step is after fermentation.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
wetchicken6
Recipes 

I left the lid off during boil. I reinforced the strainer but collapsed at one of joints. I hit my sg dead on and have begun fermintation, so I think it will turn good. Do u recommend one fermenter.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you hit the OG, then you boiled off enough. Pick up a better braid, mine doesn't collapse without any reinforcement. Yes, only primary fermentation, no secondary.

On Deck: Saison "Jardin d'été" (3rd Gen 3711, Wild bugs, Pale ale malt, wheat, Willamette dry hop)
Primary: Saison "Vomissure de Grenouille" (2nd Gen 3711 from dregs, Pale Ale malt, Crystals and Willamettes)
Secondary: BM45/Spontaneous Bugs Experiment (down to 1.004, and tastes awesome), contemplating what fruit to add.

Quick Reply