Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Strain or No Strain?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
pmhildreth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Strain or No Strain?

Just completed my second all-grain home brew. My first brew I finished the boil, stuck a colander over the primary and poured it in. Colander collected a lot of the hops. Beer turned out great (I enjoyed it). My second brew, I just poured everything into the primary. Any thoughts or advice on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I've never strained, everything settles out just fine. I use irish moss in the kettle, and my beers come out nice and clear. Different ways to skin a cat.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

I dump everything in.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Yep, Irish Moss here too.
I cool, whirlpool, and collect nice clean wort. Never had good luck straining... it seems like either the mesh is too big and lets a lot of junk in, or the mesh is too fine and clogs.
Cooling and whirlpooling is so much easier.

Keg #1: RHESB
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: Bavarian Hefeweizen
Fermenter #1 BMC West
Bottled: 3.5 gal Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer) Mead

Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
EyePeeA
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've had the best results with bagging my kettle and whirlpool hops for my IPA's. These 5 gallon capacity nylon mesh paint strainer bags are available at Home Depot for like $2.

I have found that keeping the majority of old, used hops out of the primary, the better & fresher the flavor in the finalized beer. Even with straining, a good deal of green hop matter particulates still make their way into the fermentor. You can clearly see it settle in a layer above the tan trub. If they weren't strained out, this layer would be more substantial and you would lose some space in the primary. So, bagging my kettle hops helps me to avoid these two pitfalls... especially in recipes that use a ton of hops.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I used to strain thinking it would help out my beers but I have figured out that using whirfloc tablets/irish moss and cold crashing everything turns out the same anyways.

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
elkshadow
Lord Creator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I strain for two reasons.

One to get most of the hops out because I'm reusing yeast and I don't want to bother with washing. (I make small batches and I'm considering just making a starter and pitching half of it and stepping it up/pitching half etc...) If I go that way I won't have to strain the hops.

Second is to help aerate. Again, I could probably do away with this step with the help of a whisk or slotted spoon but then what would that fancy strainer do? )))

elkshadow reserves the right to refer to himself in the third person.

Sloobie Likes This 
Old 04-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I strain using this 10" conical fine mesh strainer. Clears the hops, trub, and aerates wort during transfer. I tried whirlpooling but just couldn't get it to work right, might be my immersion chiller or my kettle pick-up valve, or my kettle dimensions or a combination of all three but for me straining works and whirlpool doesn't.

Here is a picture of half a yeast cake from a recent batch. This is a quart jar, was full of beer and yeast, swirled up from bottom of bucket and dumped in. Then settled in fridge. Has not been washed. I see no hop junk in there.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric19312
I strain using this 10" conical fine mesh strainer. Clears the hops, trub, and aerates wort during transfer. I tried whirlpooling but just couldn't get it to work right, might be my immersion chiller or my kettle pick-up valve, or my kettle dimensions or a combination of all three but for me straining works and whirlpool doesn't.

Here is a picture of half a yeast cake from a recent batch. This is a quart jar, was full of beer and yeast, swirled up from bottom of bucket and dumped in. Then settled in fridge. Has not been washed. I see no hop junk in there.
I use a keggle for boil and an immersion chiller. I've tried to stir to whirlpool but between the IC and my thermometer probe its hard to get a good whirlpool. Soon I'd like to get a pump, plate chiller, and install a whirlpool port on the keggle with a dip tube off the side. Either that or the Jaybird false bottom with the level three false bottom stand. I hear those work well. But would still like a whirlpool capability for hop stands.
On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 04-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
unitmonster
Recipes 

+1 on the stainless strainer. Works great. Being a chef, this is known to me as a chinois (shin-wa). Seems to aerate well enough and is easy to clean (as long as you clean it right away).

Quick Reply