Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stout in primary since late November

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
monty3777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stout in primary since late November

I didn't want to jack the 4 months in a primary thread so I started this one. Does it make a difference what kind of beer you are brewing when it comes to extended times in the primary? I have a stout that I brewed in late November that I plan to bottle today. I'm sure it will be fine - but are there some beers that cannot tolerate such a long stay in the primary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The only ones that long primaries aren't necessary are for those beers that are low in abv, or are meant to be drunk young and or cloudy, like heffes...

The rest of them, including your stout, I believe benefit from a long primary.

Since I don't brew heffes, I leave all my ALES in primary for a month, unless I'm adding hops, fruit or oak, then I rack at about 2 weeks into a secondary...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

It should be fine. There are myths out there about the risks of leaving in primary for more than a few weeks but you'll find that the majority of "I left it in primary x months" threads say that the beer turned out at least fine if not the best beer they have made.
I'd say that stronger flavoured beers do best with an extended time in primary. You're stout will probably be better for it.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a cream stout and left it in primary for about 10 weeks and it tasted better at that time than it did 6 months in the first time I made it. So, you're probably golden.

Quick Reply