New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stout head?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007, 03:55 AM   #1
photogscott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Stout head?

I'm interested in doing a whole grain Guinness style stout but after realizing the "widget" in canned Guinness is for kicking up the creamy head, does home brewed bottled stout make the same head?
Scott

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2007, 04:13 AM   #2
rjm
Recipes 

No, but Guinness is a stout in it's own class. There is not other stout like it, so don't use it as your bench mark. There are lots of other great stouts on the market that are made without CO2 injection, or processed with widgets when canned, so I would aim for something that doesn't require an industrial approach for a home brew. Just my two cents.

rjm

Next up: Open to suggestions
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottle Conditioning: American Style Wheat, Stout, Double.
Drinking: British Style Pale Ale

Old 03-25-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

The widget in a Guinness injects an extra shot of nitrogen into the beer before it is poured. you won't achieve the Guinness head on a beer unless you invest in a nitrogen set-up for your kegorator. and start to condition your stouts with nitrogen instead of CO2. Your best bet is to find another stout that you like and try to follow that, one that isn't conditioned with nitrogen, unless you have the money to have a nitro set-up.

cheers

Quick Reply