Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stout @ 1.042 any ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
TechyDork
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Stout @ 1.042 any ideas?

I brewed a PM Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout a two weeks ago. I took my first SG today and it was at 1.046, it started @ 1.065!! It has been fermenting @ 62 for 13 days, and i have tried to get it warmer but it is tough, Alaska in the winter.

I brewed this PM using the stove top method on my new SQ10. my mash was a little messed up, 154 for 25min and then it cooled to 148 so i tried to raise the temp and hit 168 by mistake, and it finished @ 162 after an additional 25min.

Do you think by the mash temp getting to high i would have alot of unfermentable sugars in there?

I plan to do my best to get the carboy into the upper 60's to see if it will finish out lower. Any other ideas would be most helpful. has anyone used a heating pad to raise the temps? I am running out of blankets

recipe below.

Batch size: 3 gal
Boil: 3.25 gal

OG- Measured: 1.065 Est: 1.069
FG- Measure: ? Est: 1.018

3.50 lb Amber Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 51.53 %
1.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.72 %
0.75 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.04 %
0.35 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.10 %
0.35 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.10 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.68 %
1.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 35.4 IBU
6.00 oz Coco Powder (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.60 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (Boil 10.0 min (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.83 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

60 min Mash In Add 4.04 qt of water at 164.0 F 154.0 F
10 min Step Add 10.00 qt of water at 177.2 F 170.0 F

thanks,
Dustin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 03:11 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You need to raise your temps. Try getting an aquarium heater and a temperature control unit. You could probably even do without the temp control unit since aquarium heaters usually keep the water around 70 I believe.

A brew-belt would also work nicely. If you intend on brewing ales in Alaska, I highly suggest buying one. Or switch to lagers when it's that cold.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-03-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
TechyDork
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
You need to raise your temps. Try getting an aquarium heater and a temperature control unit. You could probably even do without the temp control unit since aquarium heaters usually keep the water around 70 I believe.

A brew-belt would also work nicely. If you intend on brewing ales in Alaska, I highly suggest buying one. Or switch to lagers when it's that cold.
would this be placed inside the carboy? I will have to look in to the brew belt

Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
DNW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brew belt simply adds approx 10 deg regardless of the ambient unless you have a temp controller. An aquarium heater with a built-in thermostat is great! Just sanitize and drop it in! See Amazon for lots of choices.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:22 AM   #5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

http://www.aquariumguys.com/minitherm.html This is a perfect heater for 5 gallon batches...and cheap. Yes, and aquarium heater would go directly into your carboy after you've sanitized it.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-03-2009, 05:26 AM   #6
Benjibbad
Recipes 

There are a few things I could see happening here. First temps when mashing are very important once you get the grain up to 168 you stop converting starches to sugars, which means you could have incomplete conversion. Second, only using 1 lb of 2 row with 1.7lbs of specialty grains means you may not have had enough diastatic power to convert all of the sugars again incomplete convserion. Plus the addition of lactose which is an unfermentable sugar will leave your gravity a bit higher than normal. If you added it during the boil it would have read as a sugar in your hydro reading but it won't ferment out.

Though if incomplete conversion isn't the answer I would think it was the high mash plus lactose. I would take a WAG and say you have a stuck fermentation, If warming it up to around 70 doesn't work you may need to repitch.

Primary 1: Cedrella Vanilla Porter
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Coastal Red
Primary 5: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty
Keg1: Cherry Lambic
Keg2: A-10 IIPA
Keg3: Crazy Cuban Monk (Cedrella infused Tripel)
Keg4: Kolsch weisen hybrid

Old 11-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #7
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

wow...I did almost this exact same recipe today. partial mash and everything....

Old 11-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
Helms
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ferment in my basement, which usually sits around 50 degrees all winter. My fermenter sits in a big Rubbermaid container full of water which contains an aquarium heater. I would personally go with this setup rather than placing the heater directly in the carboy. The heater's thermostat is surprisingly accurate, and I can adjust the temperature throughout fermentation, raising it slightly at the end to help ensure full attenuation. Even in the summer when the heater's not needed I still use the water bath because it prevents any rapid temperature fluctuations, and ice can be added to cool it down if need be.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I did a stout on s-04 this fall that sat at a gravity until it was racked, and then took off again for another 10 points. I noted to consider a secondary with my recipe on that yeast. S-04 seemed pretty happy at 62 on several other batches for me.

just my observations from my batch. Your recipe is VERY different. I have not calculated impact of Lactose before.

I bet it will still be good!

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4784 Times on 3479 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
http://www.aquariumguys.com/minitherm.html This is a perfect heater for 5 gallon batches...and cheap. Yes, and aquarium heater would go directly into your carboy after you've sanitized it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helms View Post
I ferment in my basement, which usually sits around 50 degrees all winter. My fermenter sits in a big Rubbermaid container full of water which contains an aquarium heater. I would personally go with this setup rather than placing the heater directly in the carboy. The heater's thermostat is surprisingly accurate, and I can adjust the temperature throughout fermentation, raising it slightly at the end to help ensure full attenuation. Even in the summer when the heater's not needed I still use the water bath because it prevents any rapid temperature fluctuations, and ice can be added to cool it down if need be.
I'm more inclined to go with Helms here. I use a water bath and put the aquarium heater into it. It's probably ok inside the carboy, but if the wort isn't circulating, you might get "hot spots" right around the heater. I fill the water bath, and put the heater and a floating thermometer into the water bath. That also keeps the temps pretty stable.

As far as the high SG now, I'd try to repitch with a more attenuative yeast. Nottingham would be a good one. Your temperature during the mash would mean unfermentables in the runnings, and the lactose is unfermentable, but the extract should ferment. The fermentation temperature is fine in the 60s.

Quick Reply