*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Storing wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 01:56 AM   #11
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spine View Post
I was under the impression that boiling kills the botulism toxin (the part that makes you sick), so therefore IF you always boil the wort before you use it (however stored) you will kill the toxins and the wort will be safe to use.
Exactly correct. If however you want to use the wort without boiling it first (right out of your pantry) you need to can it in a pressure cooker as mentioned.

I usually just take any extra wort (soaked up in the hop bag, deadspace etc.) that I can get and freeze it, then I'll boil it and use it for starters later.

As for storing wort (this is post boil) to ferment later, there is an interesting artlicle here HyperFox - The No-Chiller Method / Using A Cube that I'm going to try at some point here.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

+1 on saving a quart of pre-boil wort in the freezer, for a starter (instead of DME).

Old 08-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
Starderup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I do it all the time with the last runnings of my sparge, but have never tried more than a quart jar. I let it cool, freeze it and use it for starters. It must be boiled and cooled just like any other starter, but it would be a major hassle to do that with six gallons.

<priceless quote>My dog dropped his bone in my fermentor while I wasn't looking.</end quote>

Quick Reply