Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Storing Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
sasabs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Storing Wort

Do I have to use the wort that I get after sparging immediately or can I store it and boil it later? If I can store it, for how long? and does it need refrigeration? I am concerned that wild yeast or some bacteria can get into the sweet wort. Will boiling kill them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Yes you need to boil the wort relatively quickly. Grain is covered with bacteria. Once boiled, if your sanitation is good, you should be able to keep it for a while before pitching yeast if you wanted.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You need to go ahead with the boil as the enzymes are still going( that the reason for the mash-out). and yes pretty much everything floating around loves sweet wort and will possibly sour the wort preboil. People do store post boiled wort in square plastic containers for later fermentations( forget what they are called).

Old 07-15-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
_JP_
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

A few batches back I was brewing at night and got a little, well, inebriated with some friends who were visiting. After the sparge, I said F it, I'll do the boil tomorrow.

Long story short, that was my worst batch ever. It was a new recipe too, but I'm sure warm wort sitting on my back porch all night didn't help.

Working on:
summer gardening

Upcoming projects:
NG line for outdoor burner

Quick Reply