The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Storing AG Runnings Before a Boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
jayareo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Storing AG Runnings Before a Boil

Well, was just wondering if there is / are logical reasons to NOT collect all of my AG runnings from my MT, store them in a fridge for a day or two, then proceed with the boil?

Was just thinking this over, as this would effectively break a 4 hour-ish process into two roughly equal sessions ... good for SWMBO relations :-)

Seems to me that I'd be boiling the runnings / wort anyhow, so what would be the harm ?? Bummer would be that I would be losing all the heat / whatever headstart on the boil I get today.

Thoughts??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 287 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 196

The boil kills all of the bacteria that washes out with your wort in the sparge step. Storing the runnings pre-boil opens you up for possible infection. Not that your finished beer would be at risk (b/c you would ultimately boil it), but that day or two might allow for some bacteria to florish and sour your wort. That sourness would be carried through to the boil and into your fermenting beer. On top of that, some of the sugars would be metabolized by the bacteria and not by the yeast, so your OG would change.

Your best bet would be to rapidly chill those runnings to below 40 degrees and store it cold. No guess on this would actually work in practice...what you want to do is avoid having the temp of the runnings in the "danger zone"...between 40-140 degrees F.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I believe there have been discussions about this topic before. I really suspect that you will spend more time doing it in two steps than in one.

Part of your estimated time savings will be lost on the second day. Heating 170*F wort from the tun to a boil should take much less time than heating your cooled wort from your fridge to a boil the next day.

I don't know what kind of burner you have, buy I imagine it would take 30 minutes or more to get up to a boil the next day, so I think your second day would probably be more like 3 hours with heating, boiling, chilling, cleaning.

Plus, you'll tack on a extra "clean-only" time to the first day because you won't be able to "hide" the time to clean out the mash tun.

There is a risk of your wort souring before you get to the second day, too. I don't know how real of a concern this is, but you have excellent bacterial breeding grounds with hot/warm wort sitting in a vessel for a long time.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I asked this question about a month back...there was a pretty good discussion generated. I decided against it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/how-...-later-144749/

Old 12-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Your best bet would be to rapidly chill those runnings to below 40 degrees and store it cold. No guess on this would actually work in practice...what you want to do is avoid having the temp of the runnings in the "danger zone"...between 40-140 degrees F.
Yeah, chilling the runnings might help with avoiding sour beer, but now you have more to do the first day to chill the liquor.

Turning a 4 hour process into two 3 hours processes, maybe?

Old 12-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

I've stored wort from a partial mash up to 2 days before using it, no problem.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 12-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Lost time would be:

End of mash, sparge time + 30 minutes to clean up the tun.

The next day, figure on + 30 minutes to go from 38F to 212F.

That also doesn't figure in the energy loss of chilling the wort quickly and heating to boiling. I would say negotiate for a day of brewing by paying it forward. Bang it out in one session.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
jayareo
Recipes 

Right. OK. So not wise, although sometines one can get away with it :-)

I am hesitant to try it - just as I would prefer to just brew it - but i might have to someday - and wanted to test the waters, so-to-speak.

I thank you all.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
Walker

Recipes 

WOuld throwing some campden in to the wort help here? That retards (or stops?) bacterial growth, right?

Quick Reply