Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stone Cali-Belique clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 05:33 AM   #21
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3239 Times on 3140 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Dry hopping is usually best if done just before kegging or bottling, and the optimum length of time for dry-hopping seems to be about 7-10 days. I usually throw my dry hops in a week before I plan to keg, and end up kegging 10 days later since I'm busy/lazy.

One quick comment though, IMO 7 days is way too soon to rack to secondary. I rarely do a secondary anymore, and when I do it's usually just to dry hop or rack onto oak or fruit. The beer will usually be better off if you leave it on the yeast a little longer so that they can clean up after themselves better.

I can't help you on the sage though. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #22
PaulSarge
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks juanmoore. I new to brewing and have heard conflicting advice when it comes to primary vs secondary. I'm sure it is all dependent on the beer thats being brewed. I'll toss some sage in with the dry hop and let you know how it comes out!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #23
tmm0f5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdrew View Post
I tried PMing this to somebody who had asked for my recipe, but since their box was full, thought I'd post it here.

Hope you find it!

Alright...here's the recipe. Really quite simple. My buddy's brother-in-law used to brew at Stone and told me that its almost the same as Stone IPA but finishes with Chinook instead of Centennial (confirmed here)...and with a Belgian yeast:

I've put my amounts in "quotes" for a 7 gallon pre-boil volume that, with my system, gives me 5.5 gallons of wort in the fermenter.

Grain Bill: (aiming for an OG of 1.062)
90% American 2-Row "12 lbs"
10% Caramel 15L (my LBHS doesn't have 15L so I do 5% 10L "12 oz" and 5% 20L "12oz")

Mashing Schedule:
Mash for 60 min at 151. Mash out at 167 for 10 min.
I fly sparge and get about 75% efficiency

Hops: (aiming for a total of 77 IBUs)
Columbus - 60 min "1.5oz"
Centennial - 1 min "2.0oz"
Chinook - Dry Hop "2.0oz"

Yeast: I used WLP575...i've heard that they use WLP570 though. I made a 2L starter for this and then oxygenated for 2 minutes when I pitched the yeast in the wort.

My fermentation schedule was:
Primary 70F ambient: 10 days "FG was 1.010"
Secondary (Dry Hop) 70F ambient: 2 weeks
Crash Cooled 35F in fridge: 3 days

I kegged mine and gave it a month...tasted great.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Happy brewing
Sorry to resurrect a thread. Going to brew this and I have Columbus, Centennial and Chinook around... but I also have 1/2 lb of Citra leftover from the Kern River Citra DIPA clone.

Think there's any role for a dry hop with Citra in with the Chinook?

Thanks,
-Tim

Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #24
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Well, it'll no longer be a clone, but citra works well with all those hops so you should be fine. Just FYI, I have recently found out why my first attempt at this clone failed: the Cali-Belgique is fermented with a SAISON yeast, not a typical belgian abbey strain. Straight from a brewer's mouth, at the brewpub. I'd definitely try that- love that beer.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Tags
cali, cali-belique, recipe, stone

Quick Reply