Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stone Arrogant Bastasrd Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
MarcusKillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default Stone Arrogant Bastasrd Clone

Well I am mashing a Arrogant Bastasrd clone 1 gallon .
2Lb 6oz 2 row
5 oz special B
Chinook .21 oz @ 85 , 45 , 15 , flame out
Yeast WLP007 is the preferred but I used S-04 since that is what I could get .

Decided to do 1 G to test . Keeping the small amount of grain at 150 is a bit of a hassle in a 10 G tun . I think I am going to make a smaller tun for these test batches .

Reason: forgot yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
thewhoner
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

interesting... I'm eager to hear how it turns out.

I think I'm going to start back on 1g batches again. I think they're just a whole bunch of fun. I used a 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler for a mash tun that worked out pretty well for 2.5 gallon batches.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
Well I am mashing a Arrogant Bastasrd clone 1 gallon .
2Lb 6oz 2 row
5 oz special B
Chinook .21 oz @ 85 , 45 , 15 , flame out
Yeast WLP007 is the preferred but I used S-04 since that is what I could get .

Decided to do 1 G to test . Keeping the small amount of grain at 150 is a bit of a hassle in a 10 G tun . I think I am going to make a smaller tun for these test batches .
Do a BIAB in a 2 gallon cooler. All the big box stores sell them.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 09-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

I am going to do the 2 gallon cooler thing I think . I also might just give the small boil pot a try for a SMaSH recipe 1 Gallon . I am thinking chinook & golden promise

Old 09-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

I just bottled it up . got 9 bottles . close to a gallon . I think 13 is a real gallon . About 1.012 FG . Tasted about right . right kind of bitter . Of course when it is conditioned it should taste a bit different .

I will say this much . It seems to be close right out of the fermenter . I would how ever give the flame out hops a 1 hour rest before chilling as I think it may be a bit short on the flavor/aroma .
Keep in mind that I am not a perfectionist so I tend to not do things exactly by the book so a careful brew may result in a closer taste .
It was also suggested to pasteurize this brew for a even closer taste as that would add in more caramel taste .
I will be taste testing real and clone in a week and then 2 weeks side by side to get a better judgment .

Old 09-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

I opened a bottle of Stone/AG and it seems that I may have made my batch a little watered down . At least as far as I can tell so far . It was a bit hard to mash in a 10 G cooler . the temp would not stay up so maybe a bit weak but still seems to have the proper flavor
think I might do a 6 G batch to test it if this tastes good in a week .

Old 09-15-2013, 03:52 AM   #7
nmenninga
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I do mine at about 9% special b, and use Maris otter for base. Hops sound like yours.

The original is inconsistent, so chances are yours is very close to something they've sold as SAB.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
RonPopeil
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmenninga View Post
I do mine at about 9% special b, and use Maris otter for base. Hops sound like yours.

The original is inconsistent, so chances are yours is very close to something they've sold as SAB.
that seems right. i do remember getting a strong dose of grapefruit from AB once upon a time so that leads me to believe cascade was involved. At the same time I've also gotten AB without the grapefruit. At that time the notion was that AB was made with entirely Amarillo.

I don't think this is a clonable beer just because it seems to constantly evolve over time. Almost as if the brewers use it as a test bed for hops. Kinda like a SMaSH, the grain bill stays the same and the hops/IBU's change constantly. Maybe the brewers are all well adjusted to AB which makes it a good candidate for this kind of treatment. Or maybe AB shares a base grain bill with many of stone's beers and they tweek it as necessary to develop new brews.

regardless, i LOVE arrogance.

Pipeline:

Paterbiersbier (pils, special roast, caravienne, strisselspalt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Homebrewing as a way to save money is like getting married as a way to always have sex.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmenninga View Post

I was thinking the same thing about consistency . I thought perhaps I was wrong but .. The bottle I drank last night did seem a bit more bitter with less complex flavors than I remember from the last time I drank it . Still good .
Mine did taste a bit watered down though . Although I think the gravity was right . I will find out when I do a full 6 g batch as this small one in a 10 g cooler was just too small to come out right I think .

Old 09-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPopeil View Post
that seems right. i do remember getting a strong dose of grapefruit from AB once upon a time so that leads me to believe cascade was involved. At the same time I've also gotten AB without the grapefruit. At that time the notion was that AB was made with entirely Amarillo.

I don't think this is a clonable beer just because it seems to constantly evolve over time. Almost as if the brewers use it as a test bed for hops. Kinda like a SMaSH, the grain bill stays the same and the hops/IBU's change constantly. Maybe the brewers are all well adjusted to AB which makes it a good candidate for this kind of treatment. Or maybe AB shares a base grain bill with many of stone's beers and they tweek it as necessary to develop new brews.

regardless, i LOVE arrogance.
In a interview one time the guy from Stone said that it was in fact a SMaSH recipe . I agree with the using this for a base to develope new beers and test hops . I think you are on to something there .

Reason: more info

Quick Reply