The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stirring Mash in Cooler MLT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
theganda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stirring Mash in Cooler MLT

I brewed yesterday and while i was stirring my mash, my braid ended up coming up a bit when the spoon hit it. I tried to nudge it back down and stir without disturbing it, but my poor efficiency made me reconsider whether or not this had helped. Does anyone else have an issue with this? Does it even make a difference or am I just stressing over nothing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Heineken
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This exact thing happened to me the last time I mashed. The end of the braid bent upward and no matter what I did, it would not stay down. I ended up with about 80% efficiency so it didn't hurt. However, I did tilt the cooler some towards the outlet to make sure I got all the wort out of the cooler.

I messed the braid up when I stirred and now it has some big dents in it. Might have to replace and be more careful next time.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I use a manifold myself, but I have seen many braids that are fastened down on the far side, or use a large brass or stainless plug to weight it down.

Quick Reply