Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Stirring during mash-in

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
jk025
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Stirring during mash-in

Ok, so I'm pretty new to the all grain business and have been getting some pretty low numbers while batch sparging (efficiency and missing gravity points) I've been looking for the amount of time I should stir the mash when I first add the strike water to the grains. Most of the time I read people just say to stir really well but I'm wondering if it's like 1 minute, 30 seconds, or even 2-5 minutes? I usually stir for probably 30 seconds to ensure all the grain is wet and not sticking together. Also how vigorously should I stir? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
TrubHead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I add enough strike water to get the grains wet then stir to get out the dough balls. Then add remaining strike water and stir thoroughly without aerating. Next put the lid on the 5 gallon cooler and wrap with big towel if it's a bit cool outside.

I'm getting 80+ extraction efficiency consistently but results will vary.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I add the strike water first and then scoop grain into the mash tun - sprinkling the grain to spread it out evenly. Every few scoops I use my mash paddle to make sure the grains are all getting wet and not clumping. By the time all of the grain is in the mash tun, everything has been stirred up pretty nicely. I still stir for another minute or so and then close up the mash tun.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
ksut1547
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 5 Posts

I don't know that there is a set time you should stir. Just stir till all the grains are wet and not clumped into dough balls. I know some people stir once or twice during the mash. How long are you mashing? Also,what is your batch sparge process? That may be the culprit as well.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

I stir til I get the same temp no matter where in the mash tun I read it. Maybe 3-5 min.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

niquejim Likes This 
Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I stir exactly 2 minutes each time with a paint stirrer on power drill. No dough balls. Will stir longer if I am over my temp. I think the key is to have a semi-consistent time for stirring so its one less variable in temperature loss to hit mash temp.

Usually hit my temp spot on if I didn't screw up any inputs into beersmith.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

What Denny said

Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
jk025
Recipes 

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm gonna try stirring until the mash is the same temp all over. I've noticed my mash having different temperatures based on where I stuck the thermometer but kinda figured it didn't matter much

Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk025 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm gonna try stirring until the mash is the same temp all over. I've noticed my mash having different temperatures based on where I stuck the thermometer but kinda figured it didn't matter much
Besides making aure the temps are equalized, you also make sure the grust is well hydrated when you do that.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 03-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I found this totally cool app called Brewing Assistant, and I used it for the first time on my last brew day. It gives reminders during the mash to stir, which I have found really helps with efficiency. I mean its not going to make or break you but should get you a few extra points....

Quick Reply