The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > To stir mash or not to stir?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
Jamming
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
If you have starches that can be released by stirring you didn't get good conversion in your mash. That could be due to a poor quality of crush, wrong temperature, or not long enough mash time.

To extract tannins you have to let your mash get too alkaline and have too hot of water to sparge with. If you use boiling water and sparge multiple times to try and get better efficiency you could get the grain bed to lose its acidity and extract tannins. If you mash is acidic you cannot extract tannins or if your water is below 170 F you cannot extract tannins.
Oh ok thanks for explaining, makes sense, more of a overheating issue then. Going to stir my next brew, last time I didn't and hit my numbers ok, but will give it a try.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
pelipen
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamming
I thought stirring releases unwanted starch, tannins etc. scratching my head now !
I would think the BIAB folks indirectly dispelled this belief. They have pretty well established that squeezing the cheezits out of the bag has no ill effects. So stirring should not either.

I stir three times during the mash. I double batch sparge, and stir with each water addition. Rest 5 to 15, set the bed and drain. My second batch is typically between 10 and 20 points, so should also be high enough not to leach bad stuff. So far so good.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:44 AM   #13
ImperialStout
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Stirring worked!!! Got 75% efficiency

Thank you all. Didn't get these replies until the mash had been sitting for 45 min so stirred the mash once and again just before sparging. Did an iodine test and got no purple. Hit estimated OG from recipe based on 75% efficiency so very happy.

Note: Efficiency was 51% 2 batches ago, made some changes and last batch was 59%. As I said, this batch was 75% so stirring worked awesome.

"Ask not what your country can brew for you ; ask what you can brew for your country."

"ich braute dieses Bier mit meinem Hund" (Life is indeed short: Get a Beagle and a Beer

Old 12-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #14
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I mash overnight in my coolers and only stir the mash when I add the grain to the water. I stir it up for about 30 seconds to make sure all the grain is in suspension and don't stir it again. Works great.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #15
rigs
Recipes 

Imperial, I was definitely in the same boat as you with very poor efficiency on my first batch (intended to do a 10gal batch, ended up with 7gal of wort at the target OG). I tried to leave the grain bed intact and keep water above the grain, but it never seemed to rinse the grain sufficiently. Second batch after mashing I vorlauf'ed the wort, drained out pretty much completely. Then I infused the batch sparge water, stirred, let settle for a few minutes, vorlauf'ed, drained pretty much completely and repeated once more. Then I bought beersmith and its apparently that's what I was supposed to do for a batch sparge anyway.

In my experience, stirring is good.

"When all else fails, simply revel in the absurdity of it all."

Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #16
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3196 Times on 3101 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Stirring very well at dough in is crucial, and it often takes more/longer stirring than people think to fully incorporate the mash water and eliminate all doughballs. Stirring before sparging isn't really necessary if you do a fly sparge properly, but doesn't hurt any either. Stirring very well with each sparge water addition is crucial if you're batch sparging, since that's the mechanism that gets the sugars into solution. I've also never seen a benefit to letting the grain bed "settle" before draining when batch sparging. It requires a little more vorlaufing if you start draining immediately, but it's still a lot quicker than waiting 5-10 min. I've never seen any benefit to stirring during the mash, and unless you're using a RIMS/HERMS/etc., it usually results in a temperature loss. As always, YMMV.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #17
ImperialStout
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Rigs, I too have Beersmith. Where did you find the instructions that tell you to stir when batch sparging?

Juan, I found stirring the mash to help, but then I only stirred it once. Palmer recommends stirring more often. Also lost temp in the process. Plan to have hot water on hand next time. What is "RIMS/HERMS/etc." I am new to brewing and have not heard these terms before.

As I posted earlier I hit the estimated OG of 1.064 from a recipe with 75% efficiency. Maybe a dumb question but does that mean the mash had an efficiency of 75%? I think it does but just want to make sure I am not misreading something.

"Ask not what your country can brew for you ; ask what you can brew for your country."

"ich braute dieses Bier mit meinem Hund" (Life is indeed short: Get a Beagle and a Beer

Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #18
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I stir while doughing in and twice over the hour long average mash. I basically open it up and stir 20 minutes in then again at 40. I don't want to stir it much more than that because I don't think it would matter much and I would risk losing the temp. I double batch sparge and stir after each sparge water addition and wait 5 or so minutes befure vorlaufing and draining for the grain bed to settle. Been working fine this way so far, though I'm still uber new to AG.

Rev.

Quick Reply