Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is a step mash a requirement for my Witbier?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
gallagherman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Is a step mash a requirement for my Witbier?

I'm going to be brewing Jamil's Witbier on Sunday, which is about 50% flaked wheat. He recommends a step mash (122-154˚F). Is this for increased enzymatic activation, because the flaked wheat is unmalted? Does the pils malt, which is also about 50% of the bill, have enough diastatic power to convert the starch from the wheat? If this is NOT why he recommends a 2-step mash, then why? Can I just do a single infusion at 154?

Next: Dead Guy Clone, Weißbier

Fermenting: The Riley

Kegged: Dry Stout, RyePA

My Blog! www.beerunion.net

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
OLDBREW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagherman View Post
I'm going to be brewing Jamil's Witbier on Sunday, which is about 50% flaked wheat. He recommends a step mash (122-154˚F). Is this for increased enzymatic activation, because the flaked wheat is unmalted? Does the pils malt, which is also about 50% of the bill, have enough diastatic power to convert the starch from the wheat? If this is NOT why he recommends a 2-step mash, then why? Can I just do a single infusion at 154?
Pils will have enough DP to convert the wheat.

you would benefit from doing a 2 step mash as he has suggested!

If you really have no other choice you could get away with a single infusion but it wont be the same

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply