Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Step Mash Procedure?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
Khirsah17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Step Mash Procedure?

Hello all,

I wanted to try a step mash for the first time and was wondering if there is anything wrong with this procedure. Let’s say I do a protein rest at 120F for 30 mins, then want to raise the mash temp up to 150F. I don't have a direct fire mash tun or anything, so I plan on adding the right amount of boiling water to do so. Will I be denaturing/killing off my enzymes by adding boiling water?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
ggoodman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

depending on grain bill may be no point in the protein rest and if anything it could do harm. boiling water is also a no no.

Fly Casters Brewing

"Aint nothing better than Fishing and Brewing Beer"

Old 05-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
knowltonm
Recipes 

I agree that a protein rest for most malts will do more harm than good, but I routinely add boiling water to the mash to raise temp. The heat gets transferred around pretty quickly when you dump it in there and stir well. Decoction boils are added back in at boiling to raise temp as well; same thing if you ask me.

Primary: 20 min IPA (14oz cascade/5gal), partigyle pale
Secondary: Mead
Bottled: Orange Cream Ale, Big Red Ale, RIS, American Stout, Nut Brown Ale, American Amber Ale, Brown Porter

Old 05-21-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I've never used a protein rest and my beers turn out fine, if not great. Just do the single rest

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:31 AM   #5
climateboy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Do a decoction mash. That's what I would do. It can improve the complexity of the flavor of the beer, too, and in some cases, like a Bavarian Wheat, it's part of the style.

"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers

"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

Old 05-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
Khirsah17
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm making a summer Kolsch, and the majority of the grain bill is pilsner malt. I've seen recipes that do protein rests and others that don't. Just figured I'd try it and see if it makes a difference.

Reading up on decoction mash, it seems like you bring a portion, even up to a third of the grain to boiling. If boiling destroys enzymes, it seems like that process would do a lot of damage.

While we're on the subject, is there any problem of using boiling water to raise the temp to 170F after the mash?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Nothing wrong with using boiling water to infuse but the mash temp will likely overshoot a little bit because it takes a little bit of time for the mash tun to absorb the heat and stabilize at the higher temp. The heat absorbed by mash tun comes from the mash itself, so when you first add the hot water the mash heats up to a certain temp...then the mash loses some of it's heat to the mash tun and the mash temp will drop a little. I usually add boiling water in steps and stir between each step.

In a decoction, most of the enzymes are dissolved in the liquid. When you pull the decoction you usually pull mostly grain (thick-mash decoction) and leave as much liquid behind as possible. Then when you add the decoction back to the mash, the enzymes that stayed behind in the main mash convert everything. The decoction used for a mash-out is usually a thin-mash decoction (mostly if not all liquid) but everything is converted at that point.

Also, if you do your step mash like in the op then you will want to make the first rest a fairly thick mash. It's gonna take quite a bit of water (even if it's boiling) to raise the mash temp from 120-ish to 150-ish and you don't want the mash to end up so thin that you don't have hardly any sparge water left.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 05-21-2009 at 02:05 PM.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
thedude123
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post

In a decoction, most of the enzymes are dissolved in the liquid. When you pull the decoction you usually pull mostly grain (thick-mash decoction) and leave as much liquid behind as possible. Then when you add the decoction back to the mash, the enzymes that stayed behind in the main mash convert everything. The decoction used for a mash-out is usually a thin-mash decoction (mostly if not all liquid) but everything is converted at that point.
I am not sure what your talking about with the pulling of the grain. I have done a decoction mast a few times and I have never pulled any grain.

Merrimack Valley Homebrew Club

http://mvhbc.com/

Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #9
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khirsah17 View Post
I wanted to try a step mash for the first time and was wondering if there is anything wrong with this procedure. Let’s say I do a protein rest at 120F for 30 mins, then want to raise the mash temp up to 150F. I don't have a direct fire mash tun or anything, so I plan on adding the right amount of boiling water to do so. Will I be denaturing/killing off my enzymes by adding boiling water?
I do step mashes all the time with simple water additions. Works great. One tip is to start with a very thick mash - say 1qt/lb for your protein rest - then you don't need to worry about the pH going all wonky from too thin a mash later on. 30 min is way too long for a protein rest though IMO. IF I do a protein rest, it's for 10-15 min, tops.

The enzymes are far tougher than you think. A few seconds of boiling water contact while stirring in won't hurt a bit.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude123 View Post
I am not sure what your talking about with the pulling of the grain. I have done a decoction mast a few times and I have never pulled any grain.
There must be a misunderstanding. Decoction is pulling grain (mash), heating it to a certain saccharification temp., then boiling it and returning it to the main mash to raise the whole mash temp to the next rest temp.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply