Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Step Mash in a 48 qt cooler, is it possible/worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
EuBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Step Mash in a 48 qt cooler, is it possible/worth it?

I'm brewing a couple clones from my favorite microbrewery this weekend since I can't get it where I live. The first will be from a kit from AHS, the second is a recipe I came up with a little help from the source, one of the brewers at the company was nice enough to share quite a bit of info with me over the phone!

Here's my delima... I like playing around, and he mentioned they step mash everything. The particulars on the IPA recipe I came up with.
They mash in at 60 C then hold at 63 C for 15 minutes and then take it up to 73 C.

I was either writing too slow, or missed something as far as times. Any suggestions on timeline given this info? I have a 48 qt cooler tun and beersmith to play with. Is it worth messing with, or should I just do single infusion at 152 for how long? Hour, 75 min, 90?? Either way I'm excited to get some yummy beer at the end

Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: New Belgium Ranger IPA Clone attempt #1
Bottled Southern Tier Pumking Clone

Planned: EdWort's haus pale ale
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's what I do:

Plan a thin mash ~1.8 qt/lb. Put that into Beersmith at your FINAL rest temp as the ONLY STEP. Assuming your adjust for equipment works this will give you your strike water temp.

Heat all the strike water to the strike water temp.

Dough in with 1 qt/lb with about 60% of your strike water. Let it sit for a few minutes for the cooler to heat up and the grains to absorb the heat. Then take the temp. Add the strike water a quart at a time until you hit your first rest temp.

At the end of your first rest re-heat the rest of the strike water to your strike temp and add it to the cooler. Your temp should now be your final rest temp.

The Beersmith calculations for step infusions are way off for a cooler, I have found my method works reliably since the heat capacity of your mash tun at the final rest temp is constant but the absorption of heat for the first rest is variable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 09-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
EuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Awesome! I do remember he said it was a short mash, but I'm still confused about how long to hold at each temp. 140, 145 and 163F??? I wouldn't think you'd want it at 163 very long, and would you still recommend a mash out at 168?? I'm going to try and call again, when we spoke the first time I was more concerned about clarifying the hop schedule then I got the wild hair about step mashing after I hung up and was reviewing my notes.

Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: New Belgium Ranger IPA Clone attempt #1
Bottled Southern Tier Pumking Clone

Planned: EdWort's haus pale ale
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Quick Reply