New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Steeping grains versus mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 02:01 AM   #1
sjlammer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Steeping grains versus mashing

My last five or so batches have been extract with specialty grain. I have found that i am trying to steep more and more grains, to the point that i am nearly doing a mini-mash.

Currently i am bringing the grains up to temp on the stove top, then putting the brew pot in the oven to keep the temperature at approximately 155 degrees.

My question is this. When i steep specialty grains, i am steeping grains that have no/little diastatic(sp?) potential.

When i add grains that have diastatic potential (like 2-row?), will the enzymes in those grains convert the starches in my specialty malts?

If so, how will this change the flavor, maltiness, alcohol, etc?

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

When you steep, the grains have little or no diastatic power, but they also do not contain starches. If you added some base malt (like 2 row), you would theoretically be mashing instead of steeping, but the enzymes would only convert the starches in the 2 row unless you added some adjuncts like flaked barley, corn, oats, rye; that contain starches but no amylase. Without the amylase (enzymes), you can't use the starchy adjuncts.
Just adding 2 row, is about the same as adding some extra extract.

-a.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply