Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Steeping Dark Grains In Sparge Water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
cooper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Here is a youtube video I found where he adds the dark grains at vorlauf. This is just an example of one way a person could do it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
JerseyJoe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
Here is a youtube video I found where he adds the dark grains at vorlauf. This is just an example of one way a person could do it.
An even easier method. He adds grain during mashout (re-circulation). I like the fact this method eliminates a muslin bag and a separate pot for the steeping in my current method. Starch conversion should be complete, your just rinsing sugars. At this point PH of the mash doesn't matter?? Less work is good! Thanks for sharing cooper!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #23
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

That's right, the mash is already done and at this point you already have all your starches converted into sweet wort.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #24
HIlife
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been wondering if steeping specialty grains separate from the main mash would give you better efficiency on really big beers. You'd reduce the sugar content of the MLT and theoretically not take such a big efficiency hit, plus you can save space in your tun for those grain bills that push your equipment to the limit.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #25
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

When I bough All Grain kits I from Mid-West Supplies a few months ago, they would not separate out the steeping grains.
All grains came in one bag. maybe other Home Brew stores are different.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #26
November
...relax...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've done this in a beer before with good results. I wanted to use Carafa but couldn't get any, so I soaked some black patent in three gallons of water in the fridge for 24 hours. I then used this as my sparge water. The resulting beer was plenty dark but lacked a lot of the roast character I would have gotten if I had tried to get the same color using roast barley or black patent.

Quick Reply