Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Steeping Dark Grains In Sparge Water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
cooper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I've never cold steeped before but I would think it would extract the acids just the same. Might be worthwhile to monitor the PH level at various stages and let us all know

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
TapeDeck
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This is kind of fascinating. I would think that there's a balancing act necessary to get the color / look and maybe the mouth feel to work out the same, but this seems like a total no brainer to me, and might make a much easier platform for the coffee stouts I need to start brewing for winter drinkin'!

Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeDeck
This is kind of fascinating. I would think that there's a balancing act necessary to get the color / look and maybe the mouth feel to work out the same, but this seems like a total no brainer to me, and might make a much easier platform for the coffee stouts I need to start brewing for winter drinkin'!
Regarding mouthfeel...

Thanks to this thread, my next brew day will be a stout where I add all the roasted malts to the mash in the last 10 mins. All of my stouts so far have been decent, but lacking that smooth roast flavor, creamy head, and luxurious mouthfeel. Using the same process, my pales, ambers, and everything else give great head. I'm excited to see the impact this new process has.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

Food for thought: 1. Sounds like you are reducing the time to get less extract from the dark grains. Couldn't you get the same effect by reducing the amount of dark grains?
2. Could you acheive a similar effect by reserving your dark grains and putting them in a muslin bag in the boil pot as the kettle is rising to boil temp (say put them in at 60F and pull them out at 150f)

Old 09-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
cooper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
Regarding mouthfeel...

Thanks to this thread, my next brew day will be a stout where I add all the roasted malts to the mash in the last 10 mins. All of my stouts so far have been decent, but lacking that smooth roast flavor, creamy head, and luxurious mouthfeel. Using the same process, my pales, ambers, and everything else give great head. I'm excited to see the impact this new process has.
What was your water profile and PH levels when doing the dark beers? Could it be possible that the dark grains could have been pulling the mash PH to too low of a level and you're getting insipid dark beers? I know when I do darker beers I have to load up the Calcium Carbonate or else use a mix of RO and my really hard tap water.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #16
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper

What was your water profile and PH levels when doing the dark beers? Could it be possible that the dark grains could have been pulling the mash PH to too low of a level and you're getting insipid dark beers? I know when I do darker beers I have to load up the Calcium Carbonate or else use a mix of RO and my really hard tap water.
I have very soft water. I've brewed with just my water as well as mineralized water using calcium carbonate. Each time, I get similar results in terms of head retention, mouthfeel, and acridness.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
cooper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
I have very soft water. I've brewed with just my water as well as mineralized water using calcium carbonate. Each time, I get similar results in terms of head retention, mouthfeel, and acridness.
Interesting, what was your PH? And mashing around 154-156 or even higher? Calibrated the thermometer and everything? I've had that issue one time too where my thermometer was reading almost 5 degrees above what the actual temp was... not happy

Old 09-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #18
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper

Interesting, what was your PH? And mashing around 154-156 or even higher? Calibrated the thermometer and everything? I've had that issue one time too where my thermometer was reading almost 5 degrees above what the actual temp was... not happy
pH: 5.2
Mash temp: 156F
Everything well calibrated

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 09-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #19
cooper
Recipes 

Dang, have you tried shaking a dead chicken at it??

Old 09-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
0verdrive
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Really interesting thread!

I'm planning on making a Vanilla Edmund Fitzgerald Porter in a couple weeks, and am considering making this adjustment.

I fly sparge, and will perform a mash-out. That said, I'm still not quite clear as to when I should add the Chocolate Malt and Roasted Barley.

It seems like it would be difficult to steep them before the mash, as it would require steeping the roasted/specialty grains in the MT, then transferring the liquor from MT to BK in order to clean out the MT, before transferring back to the MT to mash the other grains. If it's worth all that, I can try it, but I'm wondering if I could get the same result by adding the Chocolate Malt and Roasted Barley either just before starting the mash-out, or after the mash-out before I start sparging.

If I add them before the mash-out, I worry that I'll still get the harsher flavors. If I add them afterward, I'm concerned that they won't steep long enough, and I won't get the color or mouthfeel I'm aiming for.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply