Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Steam infusion hefe-weizen success!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Steam infusion hefe-weizen success!

Last night I brewed my first AG multi-step mash using my new steam infusion mash system (details here). Despite some initial disappointment I had testing the system (see previous thread), the SIMS worked flawlessly!

I did a 6 gallon hefe-weizen with a 14 lb grainbill in my 10 gal cooler MLT (see construction here). I mashed in with 4.5 gallons of water and did a 30 min protein rest at 122 deg F. Then I opened the steam jets and stepped up to 152 F. Worked fabulously -- heating took about 12 mins, and I probably could have gone faster if I had wanted to. Once at 152, I did another rest for 40 minutes, and stepped up to 168 F for a mash out. (I have never done a mash out before, since I have only used single infusions in the cooler, but I think it really helped my sparging - I was worried about all the wheat causing a stuck sparger, but that blast of heat really thinned out the mash and made it super easy to sparge.) Anyways, I sparged and did a 75 minute boil. My efficiency was a little higher than expected (I expected 65%, got 68%). So overall, I was really pleased with the brew!

Here is a shot of my el cheapo 3-tier, split pot system in action:

I am really pleased at how easy it was to do a step mash in a cooler. Also, the SIMS was EXCEPTIONALLY easy to build, and cost all of about $30 (much less if you already have a pressure cooker). I would definitely recommend this approach to anyone, especially if you are limited to mashing in a cooler. I will definitely be using step mashes again in the future.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sweet! How did you keep from overshoot? Did you manually step back the valve as you got within a certain temperature of your target?

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Honestly, I just got lucky. I thought I had overshot my sacchrification (sp?) rest badly, so I just halted the steam supply. But it was just a hot pocket that my thermometer was reading. Once I stirred a bit, the temps evened out right at my rest temp.

One issue (and maybe this applies to a direct-fired mash step, as well, using a burner) is that the SIMS generated a lot of hot and cold spots. I really don't think that scorching/overheating parts of the mash were ever an issue, but you do have to stir to keep the heat evenly distributed in the cooler. With the tests I did on plain water, this didn't seem to be the case, but I guess the mash is just that much thicker.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

One experiment I can think of is to use vertical perforated rods, this would really help distribution of the steam.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
One experiment I can think of is to use vertical perforated rods, this would really help distribution of the steam.
Or a multi-tier set of rings. Either might resolve the stirring issue, but I don't know how easy it would be to wet the mash at mash in if you couldn't stir it. A complex manifold like that might get in the way. Hmm..

Quick Reply